Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muddler Minnow variations

Default Muddler Minnow variations

I have come to the conclusion that the muddler minnow is one of the most effective streamers out there. Well at least for me anyways and Im the type of person how is never happy with just what I have. I always have to try out the new things so I was wondering if anyone out there has tied any variations of the muddler ie color or substituting materials.

2. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Muddler Minnow variations

Tyler,

Take a look at the basic Whitlock Sculpin pattern. I use this instead of the original style. Color is wide open, I've had good luck with purple and black dyed deer hair as well as standard brown.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes Joey Bagels, dennyk liked this post

The original (Gapen's) 1936 pattern was really scruffy looking like this:

I've always been a fan of spuddlers too:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes audax, dennyk, Ard liked this post

I tie a lot of muddler variations,
    A yellow marabou muddler is one of the best flies you can tie for smallmouth and I tie another marabou muddler variation with a pink wing and a purple head/collar for brook trout. Very effective.
    The Kennebago Muddler is a fly from Maine that's basically a Hornberg in the back and a muddler up front. Two of my favorite flies combined.
    And in the salt, the Tabory Snake Fly is a go-to for me this time of year.

Ostrich herl or saddle hackle tail
    3 clumps of marabou tied on top of the hook shank
    Muddler collar and head

Tabory snake fly

Kennebago muddler
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

8. Likes dennyk, Ard, yikes, Joey Bagels, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tyler185 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that the muddler minnow is one of the most effective streamers out there. Well at least for me anyways and Im the type of person how is never happy with just what I have. I always have to try out the new things so I was wondering if anyone out there has tied any variations of the muddler ie color or substituting materials.

there are any number of materials you could substitute out for the head. sculpin wool spun and clipped to shape, a dubbing brush the same way. you could "modernize" the wing and use some of that fancy UV fur they have out there or anything of the long synthetic materials that are on the market. the tail could become marabou to get more action. the body could be subbed out with some sparkly dubbing or chenille.

conceptually its a great fly; tail for movement. thin body and wing to create a profile and more movement. and a head with a larger profile to help shape that movement and continue the profile. if you look at it that way, the possibilities of materials, colors, and sizes for fish are endless.

-josh

10. Likes audax, dennyk, Ard, Joey Bagels, mcnerney liked this post

I've tied a variation based on the Muddler, but really looks nothing like the Gapen Muddler. Mine are about 6" to 8" long with a fur strip tail, rabbit usually, with other soft hair as a collar & a big spun deer hair head. It's intended as a bass fly, but imagine it could be a good trout streamer on some waters.

I still need to a get another hosting site for my pics, as the pic in on Photobucket. It's on my computer also, but can't figure a way to post it.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

12. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post

I love to tie and fish steelhead muddler variations with various deer hair colors. It's a great waking pattern that draws aggressive grabs on the swing.

14. Likes Ard, Joey Bagels, mcnerney liked this post

I consider a zoo cougar to be a variation, and my personal favorite. One could argue that this is a completely different pattern but in my book it is a modified marabou muddler.

16. Likes Joey Bagels, Ard, mcnerney liked this post

I agree that the zoo cougar is essentially a muddler with a horizontal wing. The muddler template is certainly flexible and allows for plenty of flexibility and creativity. The Letort Hopper is essentially a dry muddler/zoo cougar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post

A White Marabou Muddler is my go to fly on the Deerfield when they are running water...fish within 3ft of the bank

20. Likes Ard, Joey Bagels, mcnerney liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast