Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

JC,

I still have it! I will post a photo to this thread later this evening. I hope you will see it, I didn't read the instructions that came with my kit back in .............

Great Thread!

Ard

2. Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

mine is posted somewhere on here. it was a hares ear nymph. or as I call it now a wannbe hares ear nymph. lol.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

griffiths gnat, my grandpa tought me how to tie and later with that fly i caught a small rainbow, first on a hand fly i tied, but unfortunately lost it in some bush in my backcast.I was young and just starting to fly-fish.

Thankfuly i learned how to cast and stopped losing flys except on fish that break my line.
    Troy

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

4. Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

I don't remeber what it was called but it was simple and it caught fish, my wife and daugther both caught their first fish on it and we lost a lot of them to the fly eating trees along the Poudre trying to learn our selfs, have since taken lessons for casting and tying, still use this fly though. Here's a picture.
    Attachment 1313
    Wyatt
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

I started tying flies long before I started flyfishing. I saw in a kids fishing book about tying flies and I knew a man who fly fished so I wanted to make him some flies. I held the hook in my hand and wrapped on the stuff with swing thread. I did this for a few years until I actually started flyfishing myself and then I bought a real vice, tool, material and such. That was the best purchase ever!

I remember it well. I tied a white bead head woolly bugger with a weed guard, on a 1/0 hook. I didn't have anything flashy in my kit, so I used Christmas tree tinsel in the tail. And it was HUGE. It caught lots of wind and didn't exactly turn over well, so I had to fish it on a 0X leader. I fished it around weed beds and lily pads for largemouth. That was also the first (and last) time I ever lost my entire leader to a fish.

Of course it was also the last time I used a leader loop. The loop held fine. My knot did not.

7. Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

Great story. Thanks for sharing

John

Brown #12 Wolly Bugger in a class i took. Then we tied a #12 Prince nymph. I don't have mne any more, but my Girlfriend who took the class with me still has hers.

It was an olive wooly bugger on a #10 hook, tied at a fly tying class offered by my local fly shop in Blakeslee, PA. The instructor was Stanley Cooper; an ex-A&F professional tyer. It was a complete rat! He said it would catch fish, but I never fished it, because if I was a fish, I never would have given it a second look!

10. Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

Alot of my flies no looks that way, LOL. Thanks for the story

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast