Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Red face Genetic Fly Tieing Hackle Chickens

I am getting hackle chickens in the speing just wondering on other peoples opionons on that subject do you think it would be worth it.

Default Re: Genetic Fly Tieing Hackle Chickens

My opinion is that it depends on what you want & need from both having the chickens and the hackle. I raised barred & white rocks for awhile, had 100 birds, because at that time getting wide, webby hackle for tying Tarpon, bass and other larger flies was difficult to do in both quantity & quality. I was supplying a shop & several guides with flies, so having my own supply made sense. At that time I could buy bulk, strung hackle, but had to spend a good amount of time sorting thru it. With my own birds I could pick what I wanted.

I enjoyed it, and learned a good bit from it, and would do it again. I would not have done it for dry fly hackle, as there is enough available, and those folks who have already spent the time & effort, and cost to get better dry fly hackle are way ahead of the game, so I wouldn't see any benefit.

If you simply want to have some chickens of your own, which as I said was something I enjoyed, then certainly there can be something learned and gained in the process. If you have visions of competing in the hackle market, I wish you well, but it would likely be a long road to travel and possibly a lot of risk.

I would like to have some chickens again, more so for eggs, but some hackle as well. Perhaps even some other birds, like Guinea and Pea Fowl too. It would not be something I would want to rely on for my only hackle source however.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

3. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

My wife bought a few birds from straight runs. We ended up with more roosters than hens. So we bought more hens as we actually just wanted eggs. Over the years we now have multiple varieties and a few mutts. Lol. I pick up the loose feathers and bag, deep freeze, and use them on streamers. The problem that I see is if you want quality hackle you need to take care of them much differently. No outdoor running around. No fighting. No "being a chicken". And I think it takes several years before saddles are worth it. So, add up the feed, enclosures, winterizing (heated coop here) and predator replacements, it's just another hobby. My wife even has a business relationship with Tom Whiting and I'm still waiting for a tour.
    Over the years we've lost a dozen at a time to foxes, racoons, POS neighbor's dog and feral cats. My wife likes to let them run around to keep insects down. I built a 50'30' fully enclosed yard for them but she still let's them out. Needless to say, I've shot foxes, racoons, dogs, and cats. In fact, another fox and cat has been around. So, do you still want chickens? Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

5. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

If you want to raise chickens for hackle, this is what I would do.

Buy chicks, raise chicks, sell the chickens and then use the money to buy hackle.

Dry fly hackle uses rooster hackle so that means raising roosters for hackle. Can you raise a rooster that looks like this? This is what scientific breeding of chickens for many decades gets you. This is Dr. Thomas Whiting of Whiting Hackle Company holding a mature rooster.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes bigjim5589, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    If you want to raise chickens for hackle, this is what I would do.

Buy chicks, raise chicks, sell the chickens and then use the money to buy hackle.

Dry fly hackle uses rooster hackle so that means raising roosters for hackle. Can you raise a rooster that looks like this? This is what scientific breeding of chickens for many decades gets you. This is Dr. Thomas Whiting of Whiting Hackle Company holding a mature rooster.

Silver, selling the eggs is a great idea. Call them organic and charge even more.

Bill

9. Likes hairwing530 liked this post