Fly Tying Nymphs

silver creek

Reaction score
Any nymph that has a name starting with "articulated" or "american" like american pheasant tail or american march brown nymph.

The aggravator can be articulated as an "Articulated Aggravator" Nymph.

If you are going down that alphabet, any bead head nymph starts with a "B"

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Old time pattern called The Androscoggin nymph which is (if I remember correct) essentially a brown hairs ear with pheasant wing case cover and fox or woodchuck used as the tail. I'm not sure if I still have any...……………. Even if I did I have no photo.

bumble54

Reaction score
Amber nymph, created by Dr Howard Alexander Bell, I've had some success with it when sedge flies are hatching. I think it represents the ascending nymph prior to hatching, certainly spooning trout that I have caught on one revealed bright orange/amber sedge pupae in the throat and stomach contents.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Andre Pyuans's A.P. Nymph series.

A.P. Nymph
I also found this old page with recipes for many of the variations of the A. P. nymph, supplied by our very own tying impresario "flytire"! It's really more a style of tying than a single specific pattern. Unfortunately the links to the photos of the tying steps have gone stale, but the different recipes and suggestions for other variations are still useful.

A.P. Nymph - Step by Step Patterns & Tutorials - Fly Tying

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Atherton Nymphs...designed by John Atherton:

The Atherton Boys

PT/TB
The blue wing cases in John Atherton's original recipes were made of blue kingfisher, which is hard to find today. It had a natural iridescence that Atherton considered essential but that most dyed feather or floss alternatives lack. Perhaps the unavailability of natural kingfisher is the reason that these patterns have fallen in popularity. I haven't tried this, but now that holographic tinsels have come onto the market, I wonder whether the iridescence of blue or purple holo tinsel might offer an effective substitute.

planettrout

Reaction score
The blue wing cases in John Atherton's original recipes were made of blue kingfisher, which is hard to find today. It had a natural iridescence that Atherton considered essential but that most dyed feather or floss alternatives lack. Perhaps the unavailability of natural kingfisher is the reason that these patterns have fallen in popularity. I haven't tried this, but now that holographic tinsels have come onto the market, I wonder whether the iridescence of blue or purple holo tinsel might offer an effective substitute.

You might want to look at mini flat braid as a wing case alternative and coat it with UV Resin...

Hareline Mini Flat Fly Braid | Trident Fly Fishing

...or use purple or blue Fluoro Fiber:

PT/TB

jonbo

Reaction score
You want basic? Tie a Pheasant Tail for a dark nymph. I find the instructions at "Charlie's Fly Box" to be really good, especially with a couple of specific tying details for the PT. Then tie a Hare's Ear Nymph for a lighter colored alternative. When you want a quite small nymph, like something to imitate a baetis or PMD, and you're tying on a size 18 hook, in order to fit everything just leave out a couple of details like the wing case and legs. A pro taught me that!

moucheur2003

Reaction score