Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: fly-tying material prices

Quote Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm wondering, is it just here or is fly tying materials like hackle rising in price or are becoming just about impossible to find. In Montana where i live its just getting harder to find good quality grizzly hackle and i don't want to order of the internet because i don't know the quality. The stuff i find are just exspensive enough to keep me from buying them being a kid.

Luckily christmas is here for me and with christmas comes money.

Trout,

If you are dealing with a local shop and find a grade A or #1 neck that you really want but cant justify the lump some price, ask if they will do a lay away.

Most places will take 20% or so down (I used to go 50%) and then pay off the balance over a few pay periods. I did this for many years and have more feathers than I will ever use if I live to be 100! The best part is I felt no guilt buying them because I never cut myself short and never went in debt by charging them. When I walked out the door with the goods they were mine and I was happy. Be patient and ask if they will do it for you, you will like the results once you have a better collection than even your buddies who swipe their plastic. By gosh, I do everything the traditional way, you gotta love it!

Good Luck,

Ard

Trout,
    Do you have any buddies that would be willing to split
    a neck with you?

3. Default Re: fly-tying material prices

Quote Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
    Troutwhisperer

Some other alternatives to hackle for dry flies are flies tied with CDC like CDC and Elk Hair Caddis,
    CDC&Elk

peregrines
    I'm a real fan of the use of CDC.

John

Not saying anyone in their right mind should do this, but another option is the Indian necks
    That's how I learned
    The stems twist, the sizes vary, they don't have a good barb count, but they're cheap.. about $8 for top grade
    It's best if you can pick them out yourself 'cuz they're not all created equal...ie...I've had good luck with 'brown' and 'ginger varient', but I've never seen a decent 'dun' or 'ginger'. Not to say you can't find them, ....just that I haven't
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

5. Default Re: fly-tying material prices

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Not saying anyone in their right mind should do this, but another option is the Indian necks
    That's how I learned
    The stems twist, the sizes vary, they don't have a good barb count, but they're cheap.. about $8 for top grade
    It's best if you can pick them out yourself 'cuz they're not all created equal...ie...I've had good luck with 'brown' and 'ginger varient', but I've never seen a decent 'dun' or 'ginger'. Not to say you can't find them, ....just that I haven't
    I never thought of that one, but I bet it would work.

John

hey everybody,

I wanted to say thanks for the info. you guys gave me a lot of new fly ideas.
    i managed to find some cheaper grizzly hackle that was a little lesser quality but makes great parachute adams.

thanks again
    Troy

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12