Synthetic peacock

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I was getting ready to sit down and tie some of Lance Egan's Iron Lotus nymphs. The recipe calls for a thorax of Arizona synthetic peacock dubbing, which got me thinking: why not the real thing? Natural peacock herl is a gorgeous body material but it's not particularly durable. Lately it seems there are a growing number of dubbing products like Arizona's offered as easier to tie, more durable substitutes. However, nothing I've seen perfectly reproduces the color, sheen, and action of the real thing, so it's a trade-off. Do you use synthetic peacock dubbing? Why or why not? If you do, what's your favorite product, and what do you like about it?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if I have enough real stuff to last the rest of my life but it'll be close I think. After this many years and continued success with real herls and swords I can't imagine why I'd change. I should mention that my primary use is on large flies salmon trout and steelhead types.

goshawk87

Reaction score
I tend to use the peacock and black peacock ice dubbing, depending on the pattern. I prefer the dubbing for the thorax, as it is easier to control the proportions. For body material, I don’t think it matters.

I am sure the reason Egan uses the dubbing is durability.

I do think the black peacock ice dub is probably a little closer to actual peacock, but both have their places.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm using Siman Peacock dubbing fine , peacock black & green and #10 Reddish for the same patterns and some others. Spins on nice and you can keep it thin. Has a lot of sparkle and glitter. I got it from Jake at Competitive Angler ...he says he likes it. I think it adds more to the fly but I cant say that it fishes any better from experience yet so I'm just going to believe Jake. I don't think I've seen it in the shops around us Mouch.

Last edited:

bocast

Reaction score
Prism SLF peacock. Widely approved by fish. A must have for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

eastfly66

Reaction score
I like the Sow Bug stuff too, very easy to work with but I want to try that SLF stuff Bocast ^ likes above .

clsmith131

Reaction score
I think the real thing is easier to work with personally. But I follow recipes the first go around... mostly out of respect. After a few ties, I begin to make them my own and start subbing in different materials. Durability, sad to say, rarely comes into play with trout flies for me. It's not that I don't catch fish, it's just that I also catch a lot of rocks and trees.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
As much as I like how some of the "peacock" colored materials look, IMO, they fail to mimic the look of the real thing. I use them, and still also use the real thing. As far as dubbing goes, yes the synthetics are more durable, but unless the fly is entirely synthetic, any natural materials used will generally be less durable than any synthetic also used, so then it becomes a matter of what balance of appearance and durability you may want. There is the issue of degradation too, if it's a concern to you, that the real thing will break down, and the synthetic substitute may take a very long time to decompose and break down if you should lose the fly.

flav

Reaction score
I use ice dub, usually on bigger flies, but I also still use actual peacock, it depends on the look I'm going for. Durability is an issue with peacock, but I usually put super glue under the peacock before I wrap it and it holds up a lot better.

planettrout

Reaction score
I have been using the AZ Peacock dubbing for many years. I also use Ice Dub Peacock which seems to change colors every few years or so. Hands down, I prefer this for tying, over a base of Fl. White thread or silver tinsel:

Natural

Dyed

When wrapped around the tying thread, durability is enhanced. These two patterns have absolutely slayed in high elevation lakes in the Eastern Sierra over the past several years:

Pink UV2 Dyed Peacock Herl...

UV2 Dyed Kingfisher Blue Peacock Herl

I also use a Purple version - all tied on Alec Jackson Phantom Covert Nymph hooks # 11- # 17:

Alec Jackson Phantom Covert Nymph Hooks

PT/TB

these go to 11

Reaction score
I use natural peacock herl on a few flies, but I bought some Hareline Ice Dub Peacock on a whim while looking at fly fishing stuff at Cabelas a couple years ago.

I've found the Ice Dub Peacock to be pretty effective on smaller caddis flies. I tie an X Caddis variant in smaller sizes (16 and under) that has been pretty effective for me on both a local heavily pressured tailwater, and on smaller water brookies. Since it has worked well for me, it has been the material I reach for when tying those flies now. I always have a couple in my fly box.