Best "non-rotary" vises

tom hines

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone
I tie flies mostly in the 8-18 range. I don't (or haven't ever) used a rotary vise and would like to know your thoughts on the best non-rotary vises with good flexibility to handle various hook sizes. I don't need a travel vise, either. Thanks for your help. Tom

spm

Reaction score
I used the Anvil Apex vise for years, and loved it. The company was easy to work with. I don't think it is billed as a rotary vise, but it would operate as one, if you adjusted the angle of the vise and the hook in the vise. I also tie flies in your size range and it was fine; even went smaller.

Thanks,
steve
Anvil Apex.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
The Regal Medallion has to be up there on the top 5 best list for non true rotary vises. You can still rotate the head easily to view your work. It can hold hooks from a 5/0 down to a size 22 no problem.

smoke33

Reaction score
I am not a tyer but have been looking at vises to give it a whirl. I guess my question is, why do you want a non rotary vise. I mean, you can get a quality vise that has rotary and just not use the function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
I’ve tied thousands of flies over the past 30+ years. Not once have I opined about not having a rotary vise and threw my scissors across the room. For me it’s just not a necessary feature. I don’t miss what I don’t know.

They make nice non rotary and crummy rotaries too. It’s whatever blows your skorts up.

My pedestal Regal Medallion will easily outlive me. Perhaps 2-3 other anglers will have enjoyed using it 100 years from now.

I can’t say that for any of the other 4 low end vises I owned prior to this one.

For some...... it’s a show stopper feature. That might be you.

duker

Reaction score
+1 on HMH vises. I tie on a Spartan and it's a great vise, and the standard jaws will easily handle flies between 8-18. As the pic in Rip Tide's post indicates, you can configure it to tie rotary if you need to. And as flytie09 points out, not everyone needs a true rotary.

Scott

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I do own a Renzetti vise but do 90% of my tying on a vintage D.H. Thompson model 360-A

The vise uses the same cam and jaw as the original Model A vise but can be turned if you want to see the opposite side of the fly. They also have an adjustable collet angle which makes them great for tube tying.

Only way to find them is to check eBay regularly, I've seen them sell for as little as 30 dollars and as high as 100, I often think of buying another one just for threads like this but am afraid no one would ever want it. I've had mine since 1994

karstopo

Reaction score
I like a vise that it’s easy to adjust the jaws and the jaws are rock solid when set. I’ve had three vises, an Orvis that came with a fly tying kit in the 1970s, a HMH spartan and a Renzetti Traveller 2300. By far, the Renzetti is the quickest and easiest to use. I don’t care about the rotary aspect or use it. Secure the hook easily and quickly with minimal adjustments, that’s what I want in a vise.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I use a 30 year old Regal Pedestal Vice and a Peak Pedestal Rotary Vice. I use the Regal for tying larger patterns and the Peak for tying smaller patterns as I can access the back of the hook more easily (for me at least). I really don't use the rotary feature much but being able to rotate the fly is convenient.

Nix

Reaction score
The Regal Medallion has to be up there on the top 5 best list for non true rotary vises. You can still rotate the head easily to view your work. It can hold hooks from a 5/0 down to a size 22 no problem.
I also have a Regal. Fantastic vise. I tie primarily #6-20's. The Regal is great with those. While it isn't a rotary vise, it's easy to turn and get different angles when assessing a fly or trimming wings and tails.

I love the ease with which hooks are loaded up and flies are taken down. My goodness, what a fun vise to use! So, here is another vote for the Regal. :thumbsup:

p.s. I also have a Renzetti Traveller pedestal vise. It's a great vise, but the Regal is so much easier to use that I do 99% of my tying on the Regal. The Renzetti gets used when I go to a class or decide to do a little tying in a different place. I think I might like the Renzetti more if I had the cam-lock feature. This is a tiny detail, but one that would--I think--make a difference for me.

meeko525

Reaction score
The HMH Spartan is great value for the money. I’m able to tie flies from 8 down to 22’s without any issues. You are able to buy attachments to allow you to tie tube flies. It a solid well made vise and its made in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom hines

Reaction score
Thanks for your help and comments, everyone. I've been attempting to include a picture of my old Herter's vice (vintage early 1990's). I am using this vise now, and it does an OK job with no frills. I only have trouble with very large flies (probably 8 or larger)DSCN2136.jpgDSCN2136.jpg, but I'm wondering if I just don't know how to adjust for that or if I can obtain another set of jaws for those infrequent ties. Thanks again. Tom

silver creek

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone
I tie flies mostly in the 8-18 range. I don't (or haven't ever) used a rotary vise and would like to know your thoughts on the best non-rotary vises with good flexibility to handle various hook sizes. I don't need a travel vise, either. Thanks for your help. Tom
I vote for the HMH Standard. I owed one and then went to the Renzetti Master which is a rotary vise. I think the HMH standard is the best of the non rotary vises.

I've owned a Regal and that is a viable option for the hook range you are tying. However, it has a reputation for spitting small hooks. Small hooks have to be placed perfectly and the standard jaws can chip with small hooks. Regal even warns about this. For this reason, I do not recommend Regal Vises.

REGAL VISE HOOK ALIGNMENT

If you are going to buy a Regal, get the one with the more chip resistant stainless steel jaws.

Chipping of Regal jaws is well known.

My Regal vise is dead - Drake Magazine Online

Anyone use a Regal Vise?

Regal Vise Projectiles | Washington Fly Fishing

flytie09

Reaction score
Silver's point is valid. It's why I always set the hook with extreme caution into the groove in the jaws and give it a couple of plucks to insure it's well seated. I've not had any problems with jaws breaking...with my luck, it will happen tomorrow.

If you use caution and realize it can happen, then you should be fine. I've busted 4x vises prior to my regal and it had nothing to do with a hook erupting out of the jaws. They were just flat out a cheap vise.

jc10

Reaction score
I’ve tied thousands of flies over the past 30+ years. Not once have I opined about not having a rotary vise and threw my scissors across the room. For me it’s just not a necessary feature. I don’t miss what I don’t know.

They make nice non rotary and crummy rotaries too. It’s whatever blows your skorts up.

My pedestal Regal Medallion will easily outlive me. Perhaps 2-3 other anglers will have enjoyed using it 100 years from now.

I can’t say that for any of the other 4 low end vises I owned prior to this one.

For some...... it’s a show stopper feature. That might be you.
Appreciate your comments/advice based on your considerable experience. But just looked up a RM and its a bit pricey for me (newbie fly tyer). Do you have any recommendations for a vise under $100?

flytie09

Reaction score
You're right...you will be hard pressed to find a new Regal Medallion for under $100 new. But they're on the unmentionable site used for that price. That's what I did.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...vise&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=15

I'm sorry...but I just am not well versed on all of the vises on the market. I know Regal has a loyal following, that there are pros and cons about it and some people hate them....but for me and many others, they are a great vise. Simple, rugged and should last my lifetime as long as I put a hook in the jaws the right way.

If there are others that are bomb proof and cheaper...then I would say you go check one out for yourself. I'd venture a guess that there's a shop near you that will allow you to play touchy feely with the various models and maybe even trial them at the store.

Fly shops....love to talk shop and share their knowledge and experience. They are an awesome resource for our sport. Just don't be that guy that trials them all and ends up buying it on Amazon. I would guess shops don't care for that much.

Last edited: