Don't laugh...

axle27

Reaction score
I got a bunch of fly tying tools and the Orvis Fly Tying book for Christmas. Bought a vice that was recommended by someone on this forum (Thanx, Hardyreels). I've had my nose in that book for a few weeks since.

So, since I didn't have any real materials to tie any of the flies that were recommended as beginners flies (Wooly Bugger, Black-nosed Dace, etc), I pilfered some stuff from my wife's craft supplies, found a long shank fishing hook and went to work on learning a few things.

First off, this is the first thing I've ever tried to tie. I used some standard feathers, a strand of red yarn and some cuttings from some craft fur. I'd never fish it, just wanted to see what I could do. It's not pretty in the least, but I'm brave enough (or dumb enough) to share the unmitigated disaster with you guys.

Be gentle....

Attachments

Jackster

Reaction score
Just hang on to that puppy forever. Though that is a great first tie, you will be amazed what you will be coming up with in a very short while!

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Man I have seen much worse first flies, thats not bad at all. I would hang on to it and not fish it, but I bet ya a dollar it woudl catch bass and crappie and probaly trout in the right place and time
Keep at it you look like your gonna pick this up pretty fast
Bear

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Like Jackster said, hang on to this one!
You'll also be surprised at how many grand flytying materials are available in the craft stores! Some times, just by using the words "fly fishing/tying" will be enough to make the prices jump tremendously! Don't be afraid to experiment!

schrob

Reaction score
I've caught fish with a lot less. I agree that you'll do very well, excellent first try.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Nice :)

Here's a series of fly tying videos you might find helpful: YouTube - Learn Fly Tying Lesson 1 for Beginners with David Cammiss When you're first starting,
it's much more helpful to see someone's actual hand motions. There are lots
of tying lessons on YouTube, and other internet sites. Get a pack of marabou,
bugger hackle, wire (I don't use it on buggers any longer), and some hooks.
BUGGER CITY :D ! If you buy a 100 pack of Mustad #10 hooks, Whiting Bugger
hackle pack, and a pack of marabou, you can 100 Wooly Buggers for $25.
I didn't mention chenille because I don't use it. I simply tie in the marabou
tail, and then wind the excess marabou up the hook shank for a body. It looks
good, ties faster, eliminates a step in tying, and reduces wasted materials.

mojo

Reaction score
:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:
Sorry, I just couldn't help it.
It's only that I remember MY first fly. How someone could screw up a SJ worm, is beyond reasoning, but I did it.
Keep it in a case and label it. Name, and date. Don't chuck it. I wish I would have kept mine.
I still don't tie because of it. That's why I have Joni.:icon_lol:

DSFlyman

Reaction score
My first Fiies were so ugly, I had to kill the trout they caught just to weed them out of the gene pool!

axle27

Reaction score
I don't care who you are, that's funny....

I haven't tied anything since. I just got some materials, but finding time is the real problem....

JimG

Reaction score
finding time is the real problem....
This is why one needs a permanent tying area. You have your list of what you need to tie to fill the MT compartments in your boxes, right? So say you need to tie, I dunno, some Red Quills. You take a dozen hooks, a dozen quills, correct amount of hackle, correct amount of barred woodie and keep it in a sandwich sized Rubbermaid container when you aren't tying. (always tie a dozen each....faster). Have 15 minutes before dinner? Sit down, take what you need out of the container and tie a fly or two. You have a permanent setup, so your vise and tools are always at the ready. You only need a 3'x2' table. Nothing too big or fancy. If you have the room, go to Staples and buy a computer desk. The kitchen table is NOT the right place to tie.

Jim

mikeo

Reaction score
A first fly tied?!?!? -- very nicely done!!!!!:thumbsupu:thumbsupu:thumbsupu:thumbsupu

axle27

Reaction score
Snowing a bit here. I think I'll sit down tonight (after everyone is in bed) and mess around. I got some materials, I really don't care if it's anything that is fishable. I'm itching to tie a hackle. I'll see what I come up with and if I don't throw up after looking at the finished product, I'll post it.

Perhaps it will give some of you a chance to re-examine your breakfast/lunch/dinner/whatever....momma always said I should share...:tongue:

grizzlyking

Reaction score
That's a great first fly mine didn't look half as good as that. Keep up the good work and welcome to the great addiction of fly tying.

axle27

Reaction score
Nice :)

Here's a series of fly tying videos you might find helpful: YouTube - Learn Fly Tying Lesson 1 for Beginners with David Cammiss When you're first starting,
it's much more helpful to see someone's actual hand motions. There are lots
of tying lessons on YouTube, and other internet sites. Get a pack of marabou,
bugger hackle, wire (I don't use it on buggers any longer), and some hooks.
BUGGER CITY :D ! If you buy a 100 pack of Mustad #10 hooks, Whiting Bugger
hackle pack, and a pack of marabou, you can 100 Wooly Buggers for $25.
I didn't mention chenille because I don't use it. I simply tie in the marabou
tail, and then wind the excess marabou up the hook shank for a body. It looks
good, ties faster, eliminates a step in tying, and reduces wasted materials.
The video(s) are awesome. It really helped. Thanx a bunch.

FrankB2

Reaction score
YouTube can be an amazing learning tool! There are some really great patterns shown on YouTube, and I do a quick search each day for new video.

Glad it helped :) !