Help anvil apex - how to replace the jaws?

JoJer

Reaction score
I think that the instructions I got with my Apex said they wanted me to mail it back to them to replace the jaws.

bumble54

Reaction score
Yes a roll pin, needs to be gently drifted out with a punch of the correct size. Check the hole before replacing the pin, a little lubricant on the pin will help prevent it "picking up", this is where it temporarily welds itself to the material then gouges out a groove as it is drifted in.
Be sure to support the cam handle on a solid surface, with a suitable hole in it for the pin to enter, before you drift out the pin.
A little time and care will prevent damage.

brownbass

Reaction score
You might drill a small hole in a block of wood then lay the head so the pin is drifted out into the hole. This would help prevent loss of the pin and damage to the head and the surface of any furniture. If you can take the vise to the hardware store to get the right size and type of punch and possibly a new pin if needed.

Bill

JoJer

Reaction score
You might drill a small hole in a block of wood then lay the head so the pin is drifted out into the hole. This would help prevent loss of the pin and damage to the head and the surface of any furniture. If you can take the vise to the hardware store to get the right size and type of punch and possibly a new pin if needed.

Bill
I was picturing using a wrench socket.

brownbass

Reaction score
I was picturing using a wrench socket.
You could use a socket but you are more likely to mar the finish on the vise. The wood, I envisioned a 2x4, would be more stable as well. You would be better off not drilling that hole all the way thru the wood, just deep enough to catch the pin.

Bill