Best type of fly for beginners

FISHN50

Reaction score
We start all of our newbie students on a Woolly Bugger.. It's big enough for you to see what your doing & practice hand positions & swapping stuff from hand to hand. It's an easy fly to tie & a real fish catcher & confidence builder..Try it in a few sizes & colors....

Neil

arfishinbear

Reaction score
We start all of our newbie students on a Woolly Bugger.. It's big enough for you to see what your doing & practice hand positions & swapping stuff from hand to hand. It's an easy fly to tie & a real fish catcher & confidence builder..Try it in a few sizes & colors....

Neil
HAHA I read the ? and started to answer a wolly, but seen ya bet me to it.
Good advice, the nest one I would go to is a mickyfin, you learn to ty those and it opens a whole world of bucktail streamers.

FlyfishnakedInc

Reaction score
Wholly Buggers, I have to agree with that and the Mickey finn is another excellent fly Pheasant tail is another easy fly and is great for trout as well
tying flies is incredible but just wait till you catch a fish on a fly you tied...............you'll never buy flies again .................................

If people don't occasionally walk away shaking their heads, your doing something wrong...............John Gierach

Midwest flyfish kid

Reaction score

Neil
+1
I love wooly Buggers because they don't have to look like a pro tied it. You can't really mess it up. It will catch fish no matter what it looks like

fyshstykr

Reaction score
How about the 'Hares Ear Nymph' in sizes 14-20, colors would be olive, tan, black, rust. Some with beads and some without.

Pocono

Reaction score
For a first fly, I agree with the other posters; the wooly bugger is the place to start. Wrapping thread, tailing, simple body and simple hackling; all in the same fly.

Having said that, if you don't have the materials to tie a bugger, then tie what you have the materials for. A simple soft hackle; like a partridge and orange; tied with a brown hen feather instead of partridge, is also a good place to start. The important thing is to start tying something.

Truthfully, most first flies, if fished, will catch fish. The mutilated naturals that come sweeping down the stream bed of a freestone creek don't look like much, but the trout don't seem to mind. And when most insects fall into the water, they take on a look that doesn't look much like the natural. Again, the trout don't seem to mind.

There's no doubt that getting better at tying pays real dividends, but I'm not convinced at this point that those dividends show up in terms of the number or type of fish caught. It think that they're more apt to show up in how you feel about fishing and the fish that you catch.

Have fun!

flyfisher45

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Next question is where do you get the patterns? Do you get them from the internet or books?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi flyfisher45,

The Woolly Bugger is a very good fly and not too hard to tie. The problem is as a new tyer you may not have the Marabou feather needed for the tail. It sound like you are just getting started. Do you have a fly shop close by? If so, go there and ask for the materials to tye a Woolly Burger. They will give you what you need. If they are a good shop they will tye one while you watch.

A first fly that I recommend is a San Juan Worm. It is about as simple as it gets and it gives you some time at the bench getting use to your vise and bobbin. The second fly to try is a streamer. It gives you most of the basic techniques that you need in fly tying. You can tie weighted or non-weighted, different tails, different bodies and different wings. By the time you get through with tying a few streamers you will have built up your confidence. A woolly bugger is a more complicated fly and it would be the third fly I would try.

It seems like you don't have a book and that should be your next purchase. A good book will help you get started and make things a lot easier for you. It will explain the tools and materials and how to get started.

Frank

Cooler00

Reaction score
Hi Flyfisher,

I'm sure there are a lot of good books out there, I purchased LL Bean's
Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing
when I started fly fishing last year. Good source of information about equipment, knots, casting techniques, and fly tying. The fly tying section covers basic variations of woolly worms/buggers, wet flies, streamers, nymphs, dry flies and a few others. They give a decent explanation, with some pictures, on how to tie the different (basic) types of flies with information on a few different variations of each if you want a different color or style. I've seen other fly tying books with a lot of other types of flies, but for me starting out LL Beans book will be a good resource.
Video's are available online line and provide a good way of seeing some of the techniques involved, many available on Youtube, and someone else posted this link in another thread in this forum Learn Fly Tying for Beginners to Intermediate. All that being said, probably no real substitute for working with other experienced fly tyers at a local class or fly shop.

Scott

flyfisher45

Reaction score
Hi flyfisher45,

The Woolly Bugger is a very good fly and not too hard to tie. The problem is as a new tyer you may not have the Marabou feather needed for the tail. It sound like you are just getting started. Do you have a fly shop close by? If so, go there and ask for the materials to tye a Woolly Burger. They will give you what you need. If they are a good shop they will tye one while you watch.

A first fly that I recommend is a San Juan Worm. It is about as simple as it gets and it gives you some time at the bench getting use to your vise and bobbin. The second fly to try is a streamer. It gives you most of the basic techniques that you need in fly tying. You can tie weighted or non-weighted, different tails, different bodies and different wings. By the time you get through with tying a few streamers you will have built up your confidence. A woolly bugger is a more complicated fly and it would be the third fly I would try.

It seems like you don't have a book and that should be your next purchase. A good book will help you get started and make things a lot easier for you. It will explain the tools and materials and how to get started.

Frank
Thank you, I do have a fly shop close by and I'm taking a class Sat.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi flyfisher45,

You will be glad you took some lessons. Lessons makes it so much easier to learn. Keep us posted on your progress.

Frank

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Two of my favorites are books by A.K. Best and Jack Denison, The internet is good, but try and get a couple three or four books to.
Bear

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Some basic, productive flies that will also use materials that come in handy for other patterns:
Woolly Bugger
Pheasant Tail Nymph
Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear

Tie a dozen or so of one pattern before you move on to the next, and try to get each one better than the last. Vary colors, beads/weight/no weight and work fro larger to smaller sizes etc. if you want to mix it up a little.

Get some help picking out materials- preferably from a local shop, or if you order on line there are a number of places that specialize in fly fishing that can work with you over the phone to make sure you get the right stuff for what you’re tying (or ask for material recommendations on the board for specific patterns if you're not sure)

You may want to look into picking up one of these books. All of them offer a good introduction to tying and cover a range of productive patterns that teach a variety of techniques. If you can work your way thru the basic flies in these books, you can tie 1,000’s of patterns by varying materials and combining different techniques just by looking at a pic and recipe. Get a book that is spiral bound so you can lay it flat next to you when you tie.

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris- for many years the standard intro books for trout flies

Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying By Ted Leeson- relatively new, with innovative format with pages split horizontally to allow you view detailed instructions on different techniques on the bottom half, and detailed instructions for the pattern on top

Basic Fly Tying by Charlie Craven- just out, very detailed instructions and photos for tying, lots of tips, includes some newer very productive patterns as well as some of the old standbys.

There are tons of resources online for beginning tyers including Carlie Craven’s site ( Fly Tying Tutorials for beginners - Copperfly.net - Fly Tying Instructions ) and a series of fly tying lessons on Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource. and you can find vids and step by steps for tons of stuff by googling “whateverpatternname tying”

Good luck, you'll have fun and learn a ton from your class.

peregrines

FlyfishnakedInc

Reaction score

FlyfishnakedInc

Reaction score
I must correct myself the title of that book is "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" my apologies..............