Shopping for a first vice

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post. I'm a long time lurker on this site, but a novice fly-fisherman and would like to start tying while waiting for the ice to break up. A friend and long time tyer recommended this vice-

Cabela's -- DanVise New-Classic Vise

Also heard good reviews on the Orvis site.
Really don't want to spend too much right now, but also don't want a useless piece of junk.

Thanks in advance.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Danvise makes good stuff, the only draw back to it I see may be tying flies like streamers with that big head in the way, maybe? From the pic it looks like that head is big and is clsoe to the jaws. If you friend has used that vice he could probaly tell you about that though.
Bear

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
NCW-

Welcome to the board, and congrats on getting into tying.

The Danvise won best value and performance in the 50-100 dollar category in this review of fly tying vises from 0-150 dollars from Fly Fish Ohio:
Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!

And was highly recommended in this review in Fly Fisherman magazine in 2006 in terms of bang for the buck and shared honors with another vise HMH Silhouette in the 75-100 category. (An updated vise review by the same authors should be coming out shortly).
Selecting the best fly-tying vise, by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg

As Bear points out there isn’t a lot of clearance between the jaws and the stem for tying larger streamers, but there is an optional extension tube (20 bucks) that you can put on to give you more room.

The Danvise is imported from Denmark, and many of its parts are made from Delrin (a plastic composite). It has steel jaws, but the adjustment is critical or you risk damaging them. The vise is a c-clamp, and comes with a DVD on how to set jaw tension and use the features of the vise.

The Danvise is a “true rotary” vise meaning that the jaws rotate the shank of the hook in a single plane allowing you to wrap thread and materials on the hook by spinning the jaws. You can also tie conventionally by wrapping thread by hand. Other vises that have this feature are the Peak Rotary (about 150) and the Renzetti Cam Traveller (about 180) that are a bit better quality. There are also some “true rotary” vises less expensive than the Danvise, but they’re generally knockoffs of more expensive designs with substandard components and machining and would probably have problems holding hooks in short order.

Bottom line, the Danvise represents a good value at around 80 dollars or less for tying flies for trout, panfish etc. (If you were tying a lot of large SW stuff with large hooks and lots of thread torque, it may not be a great choice.) But if you start adding optional components to the Danvise—20 bucks for an extension tube, 25 bucks for a pedestal base etc, you start running into the question of whether buying a more substantial vise like a Peak Rotary for 150, or a very high quality but more basic vise like an HMH Silhouette SX for 130 might have been a better way to go for roughly the same bucks as Danvise plus extra parts. The HMH Silhoutte SX is a “360 Rotary” vise, which means the jaws rotate to allow you to view the fly from all sides, but is not a “true rotary” for rotary tying techniques because the shank doesn’t rotate on it’s own axis. It is a very simple, well engineered vise that you can pass down to your grandkids.

It would be great if you could find a beginners tying class through a local shop or TU chapter and arrange to borrow a vise for awhile- perhaps leaving a deposit so they know you won’t disappear with it. That way you can borrow a vise for class and for doing your “homework” during the week, perhaps get a chance to see and try some other vises. After tying for a little while you’ll have a better idea about the features you might want in a vise--- lots of it comes down to personal preference.

Hope this helps.

peregrines

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Thats some good advice, I thought I knew alot about fly fishing and tying, a few of you on here almost make me feel like a newbie lol
Bear

FrankB2

Reaction score
I started with a $7 piece of junk, bought a Griffin 2A with pedestal about
8 years ago, and then finally a Peak rotary vise 2 years ago. The Peak is
what I should have begun with! Being able to see all side of a fly is crucial
to a good symmetrical tie, and the rotary function allows you to tie faster.
Having to work around a vise will only hold you back, and I'd recommend
getting something that at least turns.

Without stepping on anyone's feelings, I thought the Danvise was a bit
bulky when I saw it in person.

flyfisher45

Reaction score
I'm new to tying and I'm getting the renzetti traveler. I looked into a couple of other vises and this one will fit my needs better and I was advised by my local shop.

Jimmie

Reaction score
I just got the "Dan-Vise". I don't have enough experience to give you a review but here are some novice observations. It's head and shoulders above the others (some junk) in it's price range that I looked at. It's made with a lot of composite materials rather than metal but seems well made. The jaws are metal. All of the adjustments work exactly as the enclosed DVD states. Even though it is very lightweight the "C" clamp holds it very steady. I can let you know more at the end of Feb. (four Sat. 2 hr. tying classes).

BlueDun

Reaction score
If you have any plans to tie tube flies, make sure that the vise you've chosen will allow room for the mandrels on your tube fly attachment. I discovered during a tube fly tying class that my old vise did not allow enough room for the tube fly equipment. Had my eye on a new vise anyway (Renzetti Traveler), so the instructor (and shop owner) grabbed one off of a shelf for me to use for the class. We discovered that that model also would not accommodate tube fly equipment.....and neither would the next one we tried.

schrob

Reaction score
If your interested I have a new Renzetti Traveler with the side knob adjustment. Was only used for a photo shoot. $125 plus shipping and it could be yours.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I knew I'd step on someone's toes with my comments. The Danvise has a
huge following, but when I saw it in person, my initial reaction was "That's
bulky." It just seemed to me that the vise's bulk might interfere with
tying, and some folks who own the vise have commented that it can.

tie one on

Reaction score
I had this same predicament a number of years ago. I did amble research on the internet, besides reading & found that for the money spent I could not beat the Peak rotary. Everyone is most certainly entitled to their thoughts, but this one has worked wonders for me.

Also, the thread response noting tying tube flies, I ran into the same problem with my Peak. I originally purchased a "tube fly kit", but it would not work on the Peak. Therefore, I made my own mandrel for tying tube flies. I took the heaviest wire coat hanger I could find, put a 90 degree bend at one end (about 1/2" long) then proceeded to use my stand grinder to taper the end. I had a piece of the tubing handy & kept grinding the taper until it fit the way I wanted. I have tried to post the digital pic of my mandrel for everyone, but it must be too large. The mandrel works great. I've tied many tube flies using it & will keep tying them.

Keep asking, using & researching different vises. They are in many ways the same as picking a fly rod. Try it out & see if it works for you. That has always seemed the most logical way.

Tie One On

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
There's no question that the Peak "true rotary" is an outstanding vise, elegant and compact as well. It's also twice the price of the Danvise, which also features "true rotary" capability, ball bearings, adjustable bobbin rest, etc. As such, the Danvise makes a lot of sense as a starter vise (& a lot more), because a beginner would get a high quality vise with advanced features without spending a lot on something he may ultimately not use that much if his fly-tying interest wanes.

Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder, and while the Peak is certainly attractive (& more so after you upgrade the unattractive white plastic thumbscrews with the optional brass ones for $8), I also find the Danvise attractive in its "Star Wars" look (as one reviewer put it).

Frankly, Peregrines earlier discussion of the various first vise options said it all pretty well. I'd only add that optionizing the Peak can also add considerably to its cost as well, i.e. adding a $40 C-Clamp in case you decide to travel with it and the pedestal is a weight factor.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Frankly, Peregrines earlier discussion of the various first vise options said it all pretty well. I'd only add that optionizing the Peak can also add considerably to its cost as well, i.e. adding a $40 C-Clamp in case you decide to travel with it and the pedestal is a weight factor.
Sounds like a good excuse for having more than one vise:wink:. I bought
my Peak vise from an ebay dealer (lives down the street from Peak), and
he includes the brass screws at no extra cost. I bought the "D" arm for
me Peak, and that makes a world of difference when using its rotary function.
The Danvise already has a crank handle, so....

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If $125 is not out of the price range I'd consider the offer on page one for the Renzetti. I've had one since 94 and love it. Pretty simple for a rotary, like a one man parade.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Sounds like a good excuse for having more than one vise:wink:. I bought
my Peak vise from an ebay dealer (lives down the street from Peak), and
he includes the brass screws at no extra cost. I bought the "D" arm for
me Peak, and that makes a world of difference when using its rotary function.
The Danvise already has a crank handle, so....
One nice thing (other than, obviously, potentially more expense) about the Peak is that it does have a full range of accessories, which the Danvise really doesn't. For example (relevant for me), the Peak offers both a Midge jaw and a Saltwater jaw as optional accessories, whereas the Danvise only offers a Saltwater jaw as an optional accessory. Now it's true that the Danvise comes with what it terms a "standard/midge" jaw, but it's safe to say that the Peak's optional Midge jaw would more easily handle the tiny flies I'm forced to deal with as a tailwater fly-fisher.

Reaction score
Some good points raised.

I did visit a local shop and going to take a few classes starting in a couple weeks and the owner said I could try out some different models. He recommended the Renzetti Traveler as well, but has a couple others to check out.

BlueDun

Reaction score
Also, the thread response noting tying tube flies, I ran into the same problem with my Peak. I originally purchased a "tube fly kit", but it would not work on the Peak. Therefore, I made my own mandrel for tying tube flies. I took the heaviest wire coat hanger I could find, put a 90 degree bend at one end (about 1/2" long) then proceeded to use my stand grinder to taper the end. I had a piece of the tubing handy & kept grinding the taper until it fit the way I wanted. I have tried to post the digital pic of my mandrel for everyone, but it must be too large.
What a creative solution! Would love to see a photo - maybe on a different thread so we don't change or detract from the original question of this thread.

Rob11

Reaction score
There's no question that the Peak "true rotary" is an outstanding vise, elegant and compact as well. It's also twice the price of the Danvise, which also features "true rotary" capability, ball bearings, adjustable bobbin rest, etc. As such, the Danvise makes a lot of sense as a starter vise (& a lot more), because a beginner would get a high quality vise with advanced features without spending a lot on something he may ultimately not use that much if his fly-tying interest wanes.

Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder, and while the Peak is certainly attractive (& more so after you upgrade the unattractive white plastic thumbscrews with the optional brass ones for $8), I also find the Danvise attractive in its "Star Wars" look (as one reviewer put it).

Good points. As a Peak owner, the substantial and stable pedestal appealed to me the most, as I don't have to go looking for a place to secure my C-clamp that won't get damaged. The Peak has the most stable pedestal stand I've used and eliminates the potential for tipping.

I view the add-ons as another advantage of the Peak. Also, there is a dealer, Gypsy Outdoors, who provides a very competitive price for the Peak that includes the brass screw upgrade. It's certainly less than twice the price of the Danvise. The ability to add the salt water and midge jaws make the Peak a very flexible vise, and the lifetime warranty provides peace of mind for an extremely well-built piece of equipment at an extremely reasonable price.

Now, I'm aware that there are many good vise choices on the market. Getting a chance to try out a few different models and features during a class is the best way to go. I'd encourage the original poster to do that first, then go back to comparing features among vises again. This will help to guarantee you make the right choice.