what should I be tying?

ejnovinsky

Reaction score
up until now Ive been just kind of randomly trying patterns, but I think Id like to start making an attempt to tie a stockpile of useful flies, so what should I be tying for springtime in Ohio? Honestly Im not even sure what kind of bugs we have......Mayflies for sure, I would assume nymphs and larvaes.......but any suggestions where to start....something for bass, for panfish, and for trout....I know seems like kind of a broad silly question, but I have to start somewhere....

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
Hey ejonvinsky,

I dont know about fishing Ohio. But some general purpose patterns for trout i would tie up some parachute adams, royal wulffs, midges, and griffith gnats. Thats what i use on lakes and creeks here. Heres a websight for some nymph patterns you might want to try nymphs attractors -- Flies for Fly Fishing

For bluegill i would try the same patterns as trout, maybe some elk hair caddis. I like to use small poppers for them to.

For bass i would try mouse patterns, poppers, and clouser minnows.

Hope this helps and best of luck this season on the water

FrankB2

Reaction score
If I were going to stockpile flies for those species, I'd tie a bunch of Wooly
Buggers in sizes 10 and 12. That'll work well with any of the species you
mentioned, and I find the smaller sizes work just as well as the larger. I use
small #12 Muddlers for panfish. My first largemouth of 2008 was taken on a
#12 Green Weenie, and you can stockpile a 100 of those in one night!
Caught on #12 Green Weenie:

Caught on #10 Wooly Bugger:

BigCliff

Reaction score
Size 8 Woolly Buggers, size 14 Soft Hackles, size 16 Adams, and Size 16 pheasant tail and hare's ear nymphs are always a safe bet where trout live. If you'll be fishing fast water, I'd tie some with beadheads as well.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
sent ya a pm i am from ohio too. I use 6,8,10 buggers and clousers and basic nymphs in basic sizes and also some dries like the adams and others like a daves hopper. for steelhead use nymphs, eggs or streamers for bass use streamers or dries. a size 10 brown bugger in the summer owns bass. I believe they think its a crayfish but I could be wrong cause i am not the fish. all I kno is they like it!