Has anyone tied a Film Critic?

pescaconmosca

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm not sure what the etiquette is here. I've been tying for a few years without achieving any particular high degree of skill. I would definitely be embarrassed to take a photo of anything I did and post it on these forums given what I see people here are capable of doing.

Last year I started tying some Paraloop (aka Hacklestacker) type patterns and have had good success with these for mayfly hatches. I was fishing in Idaho and a guy on the South Fork was recommending to try Film Critic. It is a paraloop pattern with a "sail" in the front.....you put flotant on the top of the hackle and also on the sail....the fly sumerges and the sail sticks up giving a very nice imitation of an emerging mayfly. It was super effective on the PMD hatches.

So anyway, I was wanting to tie some of them but I'm not sure how the sail is tied. Is the sail a part of the post? and then when it is brought over the top to stack the hackle you just tie it off at the eye and let this remainder become the sail? Or is the sail tied in separately?

I've looked everywhere but I can't find any tying instructions.

I hope somebody can help.

Best regards,

pescaconmosca

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I can't help with the pattern but someone will. Welcome to the forum, have you been lurking for a while or did you just join? The people here love to answer questions and you may get more than one answer depending on the question. I hope you remain active here and post often.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum! I haven't ever heard of this pattern but I did a Google search. Is this the pattern you are trying to tie?
BWO Film Critic | Fly Recipe | The Fly Bench
It is an interesting looking fly, it sure looks like a nice pattern that would be very effective, but I can't answer your question, hopefully someone else can provide the answer.

Larry

pescaconmosca

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the welcome. Yes, I'm mainly a lurker :). As I said, not really knowledgeable or good enough to post much here. mcnerney, that is indeed the pattern...the ones I used didn't have the sail colored and the hackle was probably a bit shorter........It's a Bob Quigley pattern, I believe. Unfortunately, I lost my last one fishing near home here and so I can't even reverse engineer it. I suppose I could buy some and then do that. I was hoping that someone might be up on it.

pescaconmosca

Reaction score
It looks to me like if you log in to the site in Larry's link, and then click on step by step in the upper left of the photo, you can get the detailed how to. Try it and let us know.
I'd found this site previously. There is also a recipe for a PMD version. It
doesn't work for me. I have a Mac but clicking or even "right" clicking doesn't
seem to do anything there (after I have logged in).

webrx

Reaction score
Seems like it is just a piece of ZLON, tied (with wraps) in front and back so it sticks straight up. One of the fun things about tying, is you can experiment with it and if you don't get it right, you can cut it off the hook and try again. :)

d