Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Stacker

Default Hair Stacker

I see there are Brass, Aluminum, and a Anvil AA transparent 100% static free.
    Which would be the preferred? Also what would be a preferred size?

Default Re: Hair Stacker

I'd opt for a little weight so the choice would be brass. Some guys that tie with us have added lead to their aluminum ones, not that they are not good cause I can't say.
    If I could only keep one size it would be a "large" (I think most will say medium as does C.Craven's book).

I have a medium sized brass one. I have a very large Griffin stacker that is aluminum. It has the blue aluminum on one half of it. It works alright.
    There was a stacker, an Edgin that I wanted. I ordered it two different times. It was on back order forever, and I finally gave up and bought the Griffin. Renzetti, Dr. Slick, Edgin....any of these would be really good I would think.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

I'm not sure any of them end up being "truly" static free, not to fear just run a slightly used Cling free sheet through it occasionally and problem solved.

As far as which size to roll with? What type of flies are you going to need the hair stacker for? Big flies = Bigger stacker. If your tying parachute post and using hair or calftail, then Renzetti makes a nice dual size stacker with one end being small and the other being medium sized.

Blog Entries

Look for one with more than one tube. I have a stacker that has three tubes and will do whatever I need.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Ard, I have looked around and do not see one. Can you tell me which one you have?

Blog Entries

Jay,

Unfortunately it was purchased in the 70s and there is no makers name on it. I will do a search and see if I can find anything similar.

This is on sale now, I would send a question asking to be sure that you get all the piece's for the different length parts. It is not like mine but showing you mine will do little good as they are no longer available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fly-Tying-Tool-B...item5addd7ed13

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I like them heavy with a cork base. Take a look at these Brass Beauties. They come in three sizes. You can certainly get some cheaper ones but these are nice.

Frank

EDGIN Hair Stacker from Feather-Craft

Thanks Ard, just sent them a message.

Jay, I use 2 different ones depending on the size flies I'm tying

Generally for large saltwater flies or other stuff using bucktail, I'll just roughly even it up by hand rather than stacking to avoid a paint brush look with ends that are all perfectly even. But if I do want to stack bucktail for some reason, I use a brass Griffin Large Stacker. This has a tube diameter of about 1" and is 3" deep and runs about $20

But I think this model has been replaced by the Griffin CHS Magnum with extra tube about $14

Griffin also makes other sized stackers, as well as an 'adjustible' stacker that sounds good in principle but I've never used it and don't know it's range of sizes. It does not look like the tube is deep enough for bucktail on large saltwater flies though.

For smaller stuff like wings on trout flies I use a cheap aluminum double-sided import with tubes of two different lengths-- one for small flies and one for larger ones. If I was to buy another one of this type, depending on what size flies I was tying, I'd probably go with a brass double sided one like this Renzetti Double Ender Hair Stacker (about $20). It has one brass barrel 1/2" diameter and 1 3/4" deep and another 1/4" diameter and 1 1/2" deep

or for smaller trout sized flies the Renzetti Midge Double Ender with one brass barrel 1 /8" diameter and 1" deep and another brass barrel 1 1/8" deep also 1/8" diameter.

The Griffin and Renzetti's all have rubber padding to help dampen noise and reduce scarring table tops. Although single tube stackers are a bit less at $14 and come in different sizes, the double ended ones are a better deal since they'll allow you to tie a wider range of fly sizes if you tie a range of smaller stuff like small sparkle duns, elk hair caddis, medium sized stuff like Wulffs, Trudes, and some larger dries like Stimulators.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast