Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Place to Dry Epoxy

Anyone have ideas on something to put some Copper Johns while they dry? I don't have an Epoxy dryer, and probably won't for this batch. Got about two dozen to do with 5 minute epoxy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Place to Dry Epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Anyone have ideas on something to put some Copper Johns while they dry? I don't have an Epoxy dryer, and probably won't for this batch. Got about two dozen to do with 5 minute epoxy.
    Jimmie: I think I got this idea from someone on the forum. I use a small plate and then glued some wine bottle corks so the cork stands on end. Then after applying the epoxy, I take the fly out of the vice with a small pair of needle nose plies and then stick them to the cork.
    Of course in your situation you will have to drink a few bottles of wine to get sufficient corks!

Larry
    Larry

Jimmie, I use a home made turner for epoxy flies made out of a rotisserie motor and a milk crate---- and others have "MacGyvered" similar contraptions out of disco ball motors, micro wave oven table turners etc- it's a decent alternative to buying expensive turners that can run as high as $80---

For now though, if you can find a large chunk of styrofoam and stab a dowel into the middle of it, you could probably use that to stick the flies into and just rotate it by hand for a while until it sets if you're using something like 5 min epoxy that sets relatively quickly.

But, if you're going to be tying a lot of this kind of stuff, you may want to consider going to one of the UV concoctions like Tuffleye, Clear Cure Goo or Bug Bond that set up instantly with a zap from a special wavelength UV light (but supposedly the products all work on different wavelengths so a light for one proiduct may not work on another)---some of the starter kits include a light and 10cc's of the stuff for around $40. (Once you have the light, replacement stuff is around $10 or so a tube). It seems like all the "cool kids" are using it these days around here for salt water flies--- I just bought a starter set of Bug Bond for $40 (including light) but haven't used it yet enough to form an opinion--- and don't have experience with the other similar products for a comparison, but these products do at least seem to offer a lot of advantages over epoxy resins (instant set up with exposure to the UV light, doesn't yellow over time, and maybe less toxic fumes?).
    Mark

Thank you Larry and Mark. Got some corks ready Larry. I think that I'll try some UV stuff in the near future Mark. The epoxy route is becoming a pain. Probably because not enough experience with it.

Jimmie,
    I use clear frabric paint no worries of it running. dries hard like epoxy and won't yellow. just apply and hang on some bead chain to dry
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Blog Entries

A foam block will do the trick.

Thanks Sandfly, and MP. Had corks ready to build a cork plate, but took MP's idea of foam. The only foam that I had on hand was this foam board that was to be used as a vise backdrop. It worked perfect for the 14's; 16's Copper Johns. It would probably work for 12's but no wider (it's only about 1/4" thick, maybe less).