Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Old School "thread body" flies

simple, deadly and only thread

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

I had a big handful of different colored thread that was pulled from cotton/synthetic socks. It was very fuzzy, much like a dubbed thread. I used these for a LOT of small 18-16 sized bodies. For a beginner, this thread was helpful in building gradual tapers without getting too fat. They could be wrapped tighter than (poorly) dubbed thread so the rib wouldn't sink, yet stay "buggy".

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

3. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    Most flies are designed to catch fishermen, not fish. Simple works great.
    Ain't that the truth, I watch anglers with a box of a thousand fly patterns taking forever to decide which one is " the one ".

5. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Ain't that the truth, I watch anglers with a box of a thousand fly patterns taking forever to decide which one is " the one ".
    Way different but kinda the same - I have buddy who is very proficient with a shotgun on the Clay fields; I asked him once "what chokes do you use for the different disciplines... Skeet, Trap, Sporting and how often do you change them out?" his answer - always full chokes, never change them out. Do what!!? He said, keeps me from thinking about it, less mind games to deal with, with full chokes I know I "must" be on the target and... and... there is no wondering about if I knocked a chip off, I either break them or miss them, I am not satisfied with a chip.

But don't get me wrong I have a bunch of flies in my box. However, looking at it, I have about three that I go to regularly.... don't mean I know what I'm doing, just means, I have about three that I go to regularly is all.

7. Likes bumble54 liked this post

flies.jpg

See - other that the foam hoppers, I got 90% of these at an antique shop where some family was selling grandpa's flies for like $1 each - so I bought them. Not sure which sink and which float - so consequently, I don't use them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12