Still Haven't Bought a New Vise Yet

FlyBum

Reaction score
I still haven't bought a new vise yet and tomorrow I'm going to attempt to get to the place in my garage where my old Thompson A is. Yesterday I happened to find all my tying stuff minus they vise while looking for something unrelated. To my pleasant surprise all my feathers, saddles, hair, dubbing etc. is still in great shape.

In January if my clubs tying class isn't already filled to capacity my son and I will take tying lessons. If not we'll have to pay more, but will take them at a local shop.

I After the new I will by a new vise and so far I've settled on either a Nor-vise or a Dyna-King Barracuda Junior.I kind of hesitate to admit to leaning mostly toward the Nor it has appealed to me for over 20 years I think that is, because I have a tendency like to to be different. Kind of none conformist that way.

My impression is that around these parts their are more Peak lovers than anything and from what I've seen so far it seems Frank is the only forum member who uses a Nor-vise. I'm kind of surprised that he also uses a Peak. I don't want to offend anyone, but I just don't like the looks of the Peak. Then again I have a tendency toward a Champagne appetite even though I have a beer income.

One of the things I like about the Nor-Vise is the way it spins and the things that is good for as shown in so many online videos. I've also seen Norm Norlander use it at a show some years back, but I'd seen the vise and was attracted to it long before then. JStockard has some good package deals on the Nor where I can get the vise, auto bobbin, and mounting board for the same price as I've seen the vise some places online.

Jimmie

Reaction score
A lot of guys here have stated that they used the Thompson A for years so if you find yours you should be good until you get a good deal on the others.
Amazing how fast he can apply materials with that Nor Vise. It's fun to watch.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
I like the idea behind the Nor-Vise, but don't like the looks. I think the Peak looks great, and tie with one. Have you seen the Peak in person? Renzetti
vises look nice, especially the higher end stuff.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
I like the idea behind the Nor-Vise, but don't like the looks. I think the Peak looks great, and tie with one. Have you seen the Peak in person? Renzetti
vises look nice, especially the higher end stuff.
Hi Frank: Yes I've seen them in person...Its probably that Champagne appetite affliction I've got.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
You have an opportunity to try a bunch of vises. Your fellow club members may allow you to tie on their vises. Bring enough materials to tie some buggers to the three local shops in the region, and tie on some of theirs. You will discover things that you like and dislike about the vises.

When I decided to upgrade from my Renzetti Traveler, I tried a Renzetti Presentation 4000, a Dyna King Barracuda, an Abel, and two different Regals. After figuring out what I liked and disliked about the vises I eventually settled on a ... Actually the vise that I thought that I was going to purchase was the one that I eliminated first.

MP

Pocono

Reaction score
I like the Renzetti Traveler. I've used it now for about 12 months and I have no desire to go to another vise at this point. I use it for everything from #26 chironomids (Joni got me into them a couple of years ago) to #3/0 Salmon Flies. Everything stays firmly in place and the rotation is well controlled. I only tie about 100-150 flies a year; at that usage rate the RT is, in my opinion, a great vise.

Pocono

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Another Renzetti type here, I used a Thompson 'A' for at least 20 years and having started on a stamped Sunrise I thought the 'A' was as good as it got. I bought a Renzetti at a going out of business sale in 1994 I think, and started using it about a year later. It took forever before I experimented with the rotary function but when I did I found it pretty handy.

After all these years of tying on it I find that rather than use it as a rotary tying tool I still wrap things by hand as I did with the Thompson. The ability to rotate when needed is the ticket for me and not so much actually tying rotary style. Like Pocono said the vise will hole a #20 or a #3/0 equally firm. These are good tools, oh I should add I have the old thumb screw type jaw not the new cam type.

Good luck with your choice,

Ard