Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  70
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Winter Fly Swap 2019

I truly believe fly swaps brought this forum's members a little closer in the past. I do miss that. I am going to make the "rules" as simple as possible to encourage participation.

-Plan on tying 12 cold weather trout flies no matter what. A simple chrono variation is more than fine.

Hopefully we get 12 participants. If not no biggie. We only get six then maybe you get two of each fly. No stress, we'll work it out.

-I hope to receive all the flies by the first week of December, I'll get them out well before Christmas.

-Winter flies are tiny and pretty durable. You can mail them in most any envelope if you add a bit of cardboard so the mail sorter won't shred them. Keep it easy.

-To the brand new tyers, please don't be intimidated to participate. I remember that time. A bead and some thread on a small hook and you just tied a winter fly with a shot at being successful on the water. We'll help you name the fly later lol.

-You'll send the flies to me and add a dollar or two for postage so I can forward them. I am not going to worry about the pennies but I will send them out in a padded envelope.

-Maybe a streamer or a panfish fly swap after the first of the year? We'll do something for the guys that never sniff snow.

Post it up here if you are in on the winter trout fly swap. I intend to try to tie a very tiny scud.

2. Likes mcnerney, FlukeFly, kentuckysteve liked this post

Default Re: Winter Fly Swap 2019

I'd be willing to trade 6 or maybe even 3 steelhead and salmon flies with somebody but that should be posted in the two handed section.

4. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    I'd be willing to trade 6 or maybe even 3 steelhead and salmon flies with somebody but that should be posted in the two handed section.
    You should throw that idea up over there. As you know tying up a dozen flies like that is a big task for a swap, but I'd bet you'll find a few to participate.

Count me in. Maybe this will get me out of the tying doldrums. A dozen of the same pattern, correct? Not sure yet what I'll tie.
    MC

"At least we don't have any stinky fish we gotta clean."

7. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    Count me in. Maybe this will get me out of the tying doldrums. A dozen of the same pattern, correct? Not sure yet what I'll tie.
    Yes Bob, a dozen of the same pattern is generally what we do. If you get a chance you post up a pic of the fly you are tying. It's not imperative if you don't. After a few positive responses, I'll start a list here and you'll see how this rolls.

This is awesome and I would love to participate, especially for the steelhead flies since I am getting more into steelhead and need to get some. Unfortunately, I tried the tying thing and itís just not my thing so I will just watch you guys. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Good on ya, ia_trouter! I enjoyed the swaps I was in years ago (for the most part). My bench is still packed from my move and is waiting for the room to be finished. Perhaps I'll be up and running for a spring swap.

Would really like to hear the dope on the Peregrine mystery.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

12. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
  13. Default Re: Winter Fly Swap 2019

This is a great idea and I would love to participate, count me in!

14. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymaltby View Post
    This is a great idea and I would love to participate, count me in!
    Great to have you Johnny, I don't believe we have conversed before. We are off to a slow start, but if we keep the thread bumped perhaps we should be able to come up with enough participants. When you decide what you plan to tie just post it here and I will update the list. It's OK to change your mind. For now I'll list anyone as "to be determined" until they decide.

1. ia_trouter- scud
    2. MCHammer- TBD
    3. johnnymaltby- Shop Vac
    Last edited by ia_trouter; 10-28-2019 at 10:46 AM.

16. Default Re: Winter Fly Swap 2019

I will tie up some Shop Vac's but would also be happy to tie some Gnat's if the list needs a few dries. Ia_Trouter, I will defer to you as to what the spread should be.

17. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast