ATTN: #1 Metz at Sierra Outdoors

hendodesign

Reaction score
The review on Sierra definitely puts the grading of the cape in question. Sounds like you might be getting what you pay for here.

"Although stated to be "#1" grade, I'd say that two (2) of the three (3) hackle capes that I received were more on the order of Grade #3 or even Utility grade. They were improperly skinned, with parts missing that should have been a part of the cape, and vice versa. They came through NOT thoroughly skinned and with no absorbent pads to absorb excess fat residue. The feather count and density were much lower than one would expect for a #1 grading."

flytie09

Reaction score
Thats the gamble with online shopping. Fortunately STP has one of the best return policies out there. If it's not what you expected......send it back with the included return label. I'd say it's worth the risk.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
A bargain but...........

I know that everyone does not have a super duper fly shop right down the road from their home. I didn't, not anywhere I ever lived. The first really nice full service fly shop I ever went to was the original Yellow Breeches Orvis Shop located in Boiling Springs PA.

That was 1977 and I lived just shy of 155 miles away from the store. Other shops sprang up during the 1980's and I soon had the Slate Run Orvis Shop just 45 miles away. Then a few more started carrying the good feathers and furs.

I never mail ordered a dry fly cape period. The only way for a custom tier who ties for personal use can choose a cape is to be able to select them yourself.

True.

flytie09

Reaction score
Ard.....funny how you'll shoot up 20 miles of uncharted waters in the AK bush in a jetboat dodging boulders and logs in the dark in bear, moose and wolf country hoping the motor doesn't give out and weather doesn't go from bad to uh oh all while keeping the faint glimmering of hope at swinging up a Steelhead when numbers are at all time lows......yet taking a crack one might actually get a Metz #1 rooster cape for 60% off is...... risky? :lol2:

In all seriousness....yes hand selected materials will save one alot of heartache. A quality cape for an average fly tyer may honestly last one's lifetime. So make the purchase count.

Living in Sticksville I have to order almost all of my materials online. The closest shop that carries steelhead materials is 6 hours away. And I've been burned countless times on schlappen, pheasant rump, gp crest, duck flank, turkey tail...you name it....that I simply have to work through it all. I've learned those brands to not purchase and those shops and folks to trust sight unseen.

Maybe I'm a gambling man and actually enjoy the thrill. At least STP answers emails and phone calls. Noone there can answer the quality of these capes. 4 out of 5 folks that bought them gave them solid reviews. The one 2/5 star purchaser knew better...but was also willing to dance with the devil.

If the capes are seconds grade...well you can get your money back or dye them and use them on Intruders....that's what I might do. Have you seen the price of dyed rooster saddles lately? :wow:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Point taken Mike :eek:

I had read the review that was posted and made a kneejerk response. I tried to CMA with the opening line about everyone not having a nearby shop but I do get what you're saying. It was tough back in the late 70's into the 80's because the high grade generically engineered capes were actually rare in North Central PA. I used to buy from guys who were working on breeding good hackles but their birds were nowhere near the Metz quality, I still have some of them, I bought a lot ;)

I did become a feather snob and managed to develop relationships with all the shop owners so that I was aware of when they were expecting a delivery and I could get there and get to rummage through all those capes and select what I wanted. Sounds like insider trading I know but I had been the guy who showed up when there were only 3 Barred Rock left to choose from for too many years so.............. I worked it.

Honestly though the 15 miles up the river dodging boulders, yeah I do that and yeah I blank on a lot of trips but it's just not the same. I mean the same as anticipating a package at the PO. then finding out I don't want the item and have to return it. Having sources you can trust when ordering sight / unseen demonstrates that you are not new to the game and I respect that.

I was just knee jerking so don't pay any attention please :eek: