Bobbin Cutting Thread?

mtboiler

Reaction score
So I have a couple bobbins that are probably 20 plus years old and tied a lot of flies. I have noticed recently my thread seems to break a lot more than before. So I took a magnifier and noticed a bit of a catch or two on the bobbins. Never ran wire through them either.
Can those be sanded or should I just toss them? I got my money's worth from them, but hate to just toss them if they can be fixed.

Druunkonego

Unknown member
Reaction score
I'd try steel wool over sand paper... unless you've got some super fine stuff like for wet sanding auto paint. You'd obviously want to make it as smooth as possible. I say go for it, though. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you toss them. Best case, it works and you've got your bobbins back.

trev

Reaction score
Jeweler's rouge will polish them as smooth as new. Although if really bad you could start with rubbing compound, saw this posted recently and it stirred an old memory;
YouTube

bigjim5589

Reaction score
That's why I went to bobbins with ceramic tubes or inserts, could never get the one's with metal tubes that had grooves worn in them back to original condition. Perhaps it can be accomplished with enough time & effort, just not sure it's worth all that when the bobbins I use sell for around $12 new. I kept the worn ones however and only use them for wire. :)

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
You can use heat shrink tubing and secure a glass bead onto the end of the bobbin.
Use a toothpick to hold the bead in the heat shrink while you are shrinking it.
You may have to use a bobbin threader to to feed the thread through but it will make it usable again and it is a cheap repair.

Attachments

ts47

Reaction score
I don't know what heat shrink tubing and a bead cost. I did do a search of the jeweler's rouge from the video. jewelers rouge - Google Search

Unless you are attached to that bobbin, converting it to wire only use and buying a new bobbin - one with a ceramic insert or ceramic tube, may be an easier option.

JoJer

Reaction score
You can use heat shrink tubing and secure a glass bead onto the end of the bobbin.
Use a toothpick to hold the bead in the heat shrink while you are shrinking it.
You may have to use a bobbin threader to to feed the thread through but it will make it usable again and it is a cheap repair.
I had a couple of very inexpensive bobbin holders that came with my kit. The end was slightly belled. I glued the bead into these with JB weld. Ran a wire down the tube, set the glass bead on the wire and applied the epoxy. Works fine and the thread more often than not centers itself thru the bead without a threader. Not pretty, but the holder works fine.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I had a couple of very inexpensive bobbin holders that came with my kit. The end was slightly belled. I glued the bead into these with JB weld. Ran a wire down the tube, set the glass bead on the wire and applied the epoxy. Works fine and the thread more often than not centers itself thru the bead without a threader. Not pretty, but the holder works fine.
May not be pretty but i bet it will last for a long time.Great idea.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If you ever see a bobbin with a nylon/teflon insert, don't fall for it. I've never seen a bobbin get burrs so fast and start cutting thread. Even the cheapest offerings in SCs link have last for years.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
When is Abel getting in on the bobbin train? Surely they could produce something with an anodized handle and a ceramic tube for a cool $150....

bumble54

Reaction score
If going for a ceramic bobbin be certain it is a full ceramic tube and not just ceramic inserts, as some of the cheaper ones are. They are OK IF you use a bobbin threader but if you suck the thread through, as I do, and always have, then they are a pain. I guess you get what you pay for, cheap ones are usually cheap for a reason. My Veniard's hardened steel bobbin has seen over 40 years of use and is still going strong with no fraying of the thread.
Anyone ever thought about the type of thread in use and it's propensity to abrade the tubes more than, say, silk?. Does waxed thread help prevent fraying/bobbin wear?.
Waxing the start of the thread with hard wax does help when threading any bobbin, with or without a threader.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I would simply replace any suspect thread bobbin with one of the Griffin ceramic models. I too have very old bobbins Sunrise of India that date back to...….. well they date back let's just say that. I also have some of the Griffin's which are maybe 15 years old and they are fine. I think they sold around 11.99 when I got them.

Whether you are tying tiny dry flies or big fancy steelhead flies like I do the last thing you need is an unexpected thread pop. I have enough trouble ensuing from cutting my own thread either with scissors or razor blade that I don't need any more players added to the fly tying theater. Tying flies can be challenging enough without any added distraction or troubles...….

I vote replace.

trev

Reaction score
It's a little hard to find a new Matarelli bobbin holder. I think them worth saving, even my first India bobbin holder is more pleasing to me than most that I see for sale. I do have a few bobbin holders that I wouldn't invest much time in.
I guess repair or replace should be on an individual basis.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Trevis,

Honest, after you get used to those little Griffins they are pretty slick. I'm not a guy who constantly flows or acquis's to the latest and greatest but those little bobbins were something I grew to like. I originally got them for use with silk threads and body flosses that I used for tying classic flies years ago, from there I adapted a couple to general tying and now they are just bobbins.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've been using Griffin bobbins since they first started making them. Broke one of the arms, one time, & they replaced it even though it was my fault, as I was attempting to "adjust" it by bending the arm. There was a recent thread about this very topic!

Most I have have the ceramic inserts and never had any problem with them either.

Griffin doesn't get a lot of mentions these days it seems, but like Ard, I'm not into the latest greatest either. If that's what you like, great, I just want solid & functional & I've always gotten that from Griffin.

Other bobbins can be had for less than a Griffin is priced, but for me, the results I've had with Griffin bobbins speak for themselves, so I stick with them. ;)

spm

Reaction score
I, too have been using the Griffin bobbin for years and have had no problems with it.

On a related issue, on very small flies, I have sometimes found it difficult to work a whip finisher without trapping hackles, and sometimes I will use a very small (DIY) half-hitch tool to finish. Lately, I've been looking at the new Rite Half-hitch bobbin. Has anyone used one of these, and what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
steve