Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Bleached Yearling Elk

I'm Looking for a good source of elk hair to tie my most used dry pattern, you guessed it, EHC. I've bought four separate pieces from Orvis, 2x in natural, 1 in bleached, and 1 in coastal deer hair I think. None of them have the lighter cream color hairs I am looking for. Maybe I'm buying the wrong thing? I'm looking for a more hands on dealer where I could maybe even see pictures of the hair, I started getting hackle off a PA guy on etsy and its phenomenal. I'd just like to get something similar in quality and price.

Thanks guys

Default Re: Good Bleached Yearling Elk

Quote Originally Posted by drakeking412 View Post
    I'm Looking for a good source of elk hair to tie my most used dry pattern, you guessed it, EHC. I've bought four separate pieces from Orvis, 2x in natural, 1 in bleached, and 1 in coastal deer hair I think. None of them have the lighter cream color hairs I am looking for. Maybe I'm buying the wrong thing? I'm looking for a more hands on dealer where I could maybe even see pictures of the hair, I started getting hackle off a PA guy on etsy and its phenomenal. I'd just like to get something similar in quality and price.

Thanks guys
    The general consensus is that your best option is to get hold of the guys at Blue Ribbon Flies in Montana and explain what you are looking for and ask them to select some from their collection there. Thatís true for almost all types of hair for tying.

The next alternative is to hand select at a good fly shop. And the third choice, but still better than most, is to buy the Natureís Spirit packaged pieces of hide.

Actually the best is to hand select your own at Blue Ribbon, but since you are in Pennsytucky, that may be a long drive.

I have just been tying a bunch of X Caddis (basically a no-hackle EHC with a sparkle trailing shuck). I am also trying some using the EP Trigger Point fibers as a wing instead of hair and those may be a good option that you might want to try. (Blue Ribbon also sells those fibers). They also work as the wing for Sparkle Duns and Compara Duns.

Good luck,

Don

3. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by drakeking412 View Post

Thanks guys
    You can use deer hair for the EHC. Ask for EARLY season hair.

Here is deer hair from BRF. I go there every year and look for hair.

The one on the right is early season bleached deer hair which I hand selected. The hair is less than 1" long. The photo is a macro of the hair to show the short tips.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney, weiliwen liked this post

Thanks for the replies guys. I've heard good things about Blue Ribbon from multiple people now, I'll have to check them out. I ordered a couple of packs of spirit from a local shop. Too bad they only have a warehouse and no storefront for me to come pick through. Thanks for the tips too, I'll try to post what I come up with.

Also pretty jealous of those patches there silver, that right one is exactly what I'm looking for haha

7. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

The folks at BRF will assist you in selecting the Bleached Elk Hair that you need. Like SGS said it's a long drive, but when I go to Montana, I make a point of always stopping in to BRF and generally, more than once. Their bird feathers, for soft hackles, are spectacular:

Early Season Cow Elk - Blue Ribbon Flies

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

9. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney, smilingduck liked this post

Iíve been a customer of BRF since 1983. First time I saw Craig Matthews he was tying sculpins. BRF is my go to store for hair, bird skins and zelon, of course. If you are ever in W. Yellowstone it is worth a visit.

In my opinion, the guys at BRF are just behind LaFontaine for practical, simple tying innovations. I feel guilty because the X caddis, Iris caddis and variations of the serendipity, including the pheasant tail version, have replaced many other complicated patterns in my box. All of the above can be tied in a jiffy and work.

11. Likes mcnerney, smilingduck, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I can't help with where to source the hair but would like to say hi and...…. what part of PA are you in?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

13. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm another happy customer of BRF's! As the others have said, give them a call and tell them what you are looking for, you won't be disappointed!
    Larry

15. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Give Charlie Craven a call in his shop. He is very accomplished tier as well.

He relocated his shop so he might be difficult to reach now.

17. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I can't help with where to source the hair but would like to say hi and...…. what part of PA are you in?
    Hi Ard! I'm from the SW PA portion but I mainly fish central and north central PA. I see you're in Alaska, I can't wait to go fish there!!

19. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast