Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Question about 2 hackle flies...

Default Question about 2 hackle flies...

I'm having a little trouble on parachute flies that use 2 hackle colors. When I try to wrap the second feather, things get a little squirrely. The second feather kind of bunches up the first and the barbs end up pointing up at about a 45 degree angle instead of pointing straight out. (Hopefully that makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain) I'm good on standard catskill ties and thorax patterns but the 2 feather parachutes are giving me trouble. I was wondering if anyone had any tips. Do you wrap one feather at a time, or wrap them together?

Default Re: Question about 2 hackle flies...

If you're talking about something like a parachute Adams, I think you'll have the best luck wrapping them both together. I'm not one to refer to anything about tying parachutes as "easy", but wrapping both at the same time should help.

Also, if you haven't yet, start using Whiting saddle hackles for all dry flies. Some folks view them as expensive, but you can tie a ridiculous number of flies from a 100 pak or a quarter saddle, and they make dries MUCH easier. I would probably skip dries altogether if I didn't have them.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

1) Wrap the first feather 2 - 4 times depending on the hook size and tie it off. The topmost wrap should be just below the top of the thread wrap going around the post.

2) Spiral the second feather up to the top of the thread foundation (just above the first feather). As you do so, wiggle it to help shake loose any barbs that might be trapped.

3) Take the first wrap of the second feather above the first feather.

4) Take 1 - 3 more wraps of the second feather going back down toward the shank. Again, wiggle the 2nd feather up and down to shake loose those pesky barbs from the first feather. The last wrap should be at the very bottom of the post.

5) Tie off the second feather and go fish!

Ditto what Cliff said. Whiting hackle wraps like magic, and I just started wrapping Adams with both hackles together. I saw that tip in a fly tying
    book a couple weeks ago. Works like a charm

Yeah, I've been using the Whiting 100's for a bunch of years now...they are nice. I'm not tying Adams parachutes but March Browns and Gray Fox patterns also call for a brown/grizzly and ginger/grizzy mix. I'll try wrapping the feathers at the same time and see how that works out. Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
    1) Wrap the first feather 2 - 4 times depending on the hook size and tie it off. The topmost wrap should be just below the top of the thread wrap going around the post.

2) Spiral the second feather up to the top of the thread foundation (just above the first feather). As you do so, wiggle it to help shake loose any barbs that might be trapped.

3) Take the first wrap of the second feather above the first feather.

4) Take 1 - 3 more wraps of the second feather going back down toward the shank. Again, wiggle the 2nd feather up and down to shake loose those pesky barbs from the first feather. The last wrap should be at the very bottom of the post.

5) Tie off the second feather and go fish!

Like Bluedun said it's all in the wiggle....

7. Default Re: Question about 2 hackle flies...

I've always heard you shouldn't wrap both hackles at the same time(not that i haven't done it before) but I guess ya do learn somethin' new every day.....
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em