Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sandhill Crane Feathers

As long as you possess a license for taking the birds regardless of the state you can keep carcass and anything that goes with it. The only exception to the rule on taking game animal parts across state lines is for imported exotics ( like African game you might hunt in TX) or any species of deer. There are strict rules that all brain matter must be removed from the skulls of such animals due to CWD and other parasitic diseases that may be present. As stated, as long as you possess a license and are within the season and bag limits there are no laws that prevent you from bringing your harvest across state lines. I do this annually with several different game species and have for many years.

Now, Sandhill Cranes are a peculiar bird when it comes to hunting. There are 5 sub-species of these birds. Only two of which are labeled as migratory. The Greater and Lesser Sandhill Crane. The three other sub-species are considered non-migratory. The Mississippi, Florida, and Cuban Sandhill Cranes. These are considered protected as they are not migratory birds. The Mississippi and Cuban sub-species are both on the Federal Endangered Species list. The Florida is not. It is on the State list but not the federal. These sub-species are only found in the areas of their respective refuges and close proximity of them. There are no laws preventing having body parts of any legally hunted species of any animals within the continental US. There are for those taken illegally under the Lacy Act.

I've hunted these aggravating birds in ND. There are a gozzillion of these up there and they drive you nuts all night in the fields squawking. We sleep with a loud fan to drown out the noise. They're extremely loud. They are worse than snow geese. The farmers would like you to shoot all of them. Although I can understand their frustration, we can't. They **** all over the fields. The droppings are like that of geese and is high in ammonia. It overloads the topsoil with ammonia if they're in one particular field too long.

To answer the question of if they're good for tying material, yes. Any species of bird feathers are fit for material. The under feathers of the legs make good maribou if the color fits your liking. Most of the tail feathers make great midge and mayfly tails. Some of the wing feathers make great biots. The various neck and other feathers are like that of any birds you may use. You can find short fiber feathers around the head, neck, and wing shoulders suitable for hackle on flies like woolly boogers and soft hackle flies. The red on the front of it's head is actually skin, not feathers. Kind of like the skin on a turkey head only its red.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

2. Likes flytie09, karstopo, trev liked this post
    Blog Entries

The daughter and her friends got their cranes. However, she forgot about dear old dad and his desire for feathers. Maybe next time. There was evidently a long, difficult boat ride in and long walk across a marsh to get to the hunting place and then a long, even more difficult boat ride back out in the dark, she was pretty wiped out by the time she got back home. A wing shot Crane got up off the grass and chased after her, hissing(can you blame it). The “guide” (another friend) got into it with his brother (not on scene) and left the hunting party to fend for themselves. My daughter was the only person in the party with any practical knowledge and prior experience of the terrain and the correct way out through a maze of marsh. Her buddies reportedly gave her a lot of praise for getting them out in one piece.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

4. Likes trev, flytie09, brownbass, TwoThumbsUp, ts47 liked this post

Fishing with a guide in MT, who was from TN, called them "rib-eye in the sky". I about fell in the water on that one!!

Evidently, they are quite the nasty bird.

Another option you might consider is a bird feeder. The wife has a couple around the house all the time. I find feathers from blue jays, cardinals, ring neck doves, and other colorful birds all the time around the feeders. They make great material. I particularly like the blue jay and cardinal tail feathers for wing casings on midges and emergers. Adds a nice contrasting color to your fly.

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    The daughter and her friends got their cranes. However, she forgot about dear old dad and his desire for feathers. Maybe next time. There was evidently a long, difficult boat ride in and long walk across a marsh to get to the hunting place and then a long, even more difficult boat ride back out in the dark, she was pretty wiped out by the time she got back home. A wing shot Crane got up off the grass and chased after her, hissing(can you blame it). The “guide” (another friend) got into it with his brother (not on scene) and left the hunting party to fend for themselves. My daughter was the only person in the party with any practical knowledge and prior experience of the terrain and the correct way out through a maze of marsh. Her buddies reportedly gave her a lot of praise for getting them out in one piece.
    Last edited by kevind62; 01-15-2020 at 09:32 PM.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12