Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rite Bobbins

Default Re: Rite Bobbins

how are you guys threading this bobbin , I bought the one with the zirconium insert, the internal hole is so small
    it is a real pain to thread, my old bobbin I was using a ballyhoo rigging needle and took a second
    now I struggle to get a thread thru in 10 minutes

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

On tiny hole bobbin inserts, if you can get just a wee bit of thread into the hole, you can suck the rest through. Put your lips on the insert and suck hard. That is a lot easier in my experience than those threading tools.

I was another that didn’t like the Rite Bobbin, just didn’t feel right in my hand missing the one post and I had a hard time getting mine to feed tying thread smoothly and at the tension I wanted. I don’t always want the same tension on the tying thread even while working on one fly. It just wasn’t for me, but as they say, different strokes for different folks.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

4. Likes clsmith131, hairwing530, ejsell liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max L View Post
    how are you guys threading this bobbin , I bought the one with the zirconium insert, the internal hole is so small
    it is a real pain to thread, my old bobbin I was using a ballyhoo rigging needle and took a second
    now I struggle to get a thread thru in 10 minutes
    If you would like to give these a try send me a PM with your mailing address. These work fine for me, I get them from my dentist, he's a friend of mine.

Denny

6. Likes hairwing530, ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    If you would like to give these a try send me a PM with your mailing address. These work fine for me, I get them from my dentist, he's a friend of mine.

Denny
    I also use the floss threader. They are at your grocery store (cheap) with the display of toothbrushes. They are not long enough for some bobbins (Loon and others) but they are quick and easy.

those sane threaders can be cut off and used as eyes for damsel flies by melting the tips of the Ys and just tied in. Lots easier than making eyes our of a piece of mono.

I have also used them to make handles to hold floss for woven body nymphs, but find it easier with all but the smallest flies to just hold onto the floss itself these days.

Don

8. Likes ts47, dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

i got rid of the rite bobbin holder i had. i didnt like the hand feel

tiemco ceramic or jstockard ceramic bobbin holders are way better for my style of tying
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

10. Likes karstopo, hairwing530 liked this post

Love hate, here. Fiddly to setup, but great once on a roll. I actually like the 'open frame' and the ability to adjust tension is wonderful.

12. Likes hairwing530, ejsell liked this post

I like them. I have 8, so I don't worry about changing thread much. I have a mix of the standard and small sizes. There really isn't much difference between the two, I use them interchangeably. I get what others have said about the open side not working for them, but I don't even notice. I grip the tip of the bobbin when I tie. One thing that does happen sometimes, is that the vinyl sleeve will slide up the tip over time, I just back it down, no biggie. The only bobbin I would go so far as to not recommend is the Petitjean. It seems to be more of a thread cutter/patience tester. I've been curious about the smahen, they look like a good one, but at $70, I haven't been able to justify picking up one of those.

14. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Another rerun from me: I also have an adjustable tension bobbin-

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

16. Likes tcorfey, brownbass, ejsell, dennyk, TwoThumbsUp liked this post

For small and narrow bobbin tubes, the tool I use on my Nor-bobbin is made by Stonfo. It is a single wire that gets the job done easily.

BOBBIN THREADER TYPE 1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12