Rite Bobbins

Noodle

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of those Rite bobbins being used by folks; thought they might be worth a shot. I’m still using the bobbin that came in some cheap pack of tools.

Would y’all recommend the Standard model to start, or would I be better off with the Half Hitch model? What about a Shorty + Half Hitch duo?

I tie a lot of nymphs, recently got into wet flies, a few dries, and I tie a fair amount of streamers.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Matt4.0

Reaction score
The last time these were brought up in a thread the reviews were mixed, seemed to be a love it or hate it kind of item which surprised me. Put me in the love it camp, I also switched from a cheap starter type and these made a world of difference for my tying style at least.

As far as size, I have one of the short model and one standard...honestly either works fine but if I had to pick one I’d go with the standard length as it just seems a little more comfortable for my long-ish fingers.

I’ve been tying for a couple years but only casually so I’m no expert by any means. I’m sure others will chime in with much more detailed/explanatory opinions.

Noodle

Reaction score
The last time these were brought up in a thread the reviews were mixed, seemed to be a love it or hate it kind of item which surprised me. Put me in the love it camp, I also switched from a cheap starter type and these made a world of difference for my tying style at least.

As far as size, I have one of the short model and one standard...honestly either works fine but if I had to pick one I’d go with the standard length as it just seems a little more comfortable for my long-ish fingers.

I’ve been tying for a couple years but only casually so I’m no expert by any means. I’m sure others will chime in with much more detailed/explanatory opinions.
Thanks for the thoughts. I’m surprised to hear they were a mixed bag too. Though I think I remember the complaint being that it takes too long to switch threads? I’m not worried about that, I just want a cool fun to use bobbin. Rite bobbin looks dope, I see the advantage of adjustable thread tension, and it looks easy to work with. Sounds like it’s worth a shot to me, but I guess I’m open to other suggestions.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I love mine. I too had the "standard" style for the longest time. The Rite bobbin was night and day. Especially for delicate threads.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brownbass

Reaction score
I like the standard as well. Being able to fine-tune the tension is one reason I believe it is one of the best bobbins. It does take a little getting used to how many turns it takes to set the tension you want. I would think if you were tying a lot of streamers the Half-hitch would be good because of the longer nozzle.

Bill

dennyk

Reaction score
I really like mine, I have had them (2 of them) for a few years now. One day I got clumsy and dropped one on a cement floor cracking off the side opposite of the tension wheel at the barrel. They sent me a new frame no cost or questions asked along with a short note thanking me for choosing their product. Good Folks!

Denny

ejsell

Reaction score
Love mine, got 2 because it does take a couple extra seconds to change out the thread but when I'm tying it's not like I'm in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I got one for Christmas and I like it. It's the standard size and works really well for the size flies I tie from #12 to #20.

It fits well in my hand, but most bobbins do anyway, and it doesn't take long to adjust the tension either, it's pretty simple really.

There are some excellent bobbins out there these days, and another one I like is Renzetti's Ruby Tipped bobbin. Smooooooth wrapping.

I also like the new Umpqua Dream Stream bobbin, the new blue one. It's a heavier bobbin with a polished stainless tube. I was questioning the tube because I have had others in the past, older ones that have been worn, but I'd end up breaking my thread. But this bobbin is something different. I really like it and actually use it more than my Rite bobbin.

spm

Reaction score
I tried the Rite Half-hitch model. Kept breaking my thread, so I returned it and went back to my Griffin w/ ceramic insert, that I have been using for years. It seems a lot of folks like them, so maybe my problem was pilot error. I just know I like my Griffin bobbin.

Thanks,
steve

Noodle

Reaction score
Picked one up at the shop close to work; going to try the standard model to start. Thanks y’all!

Max L

Reaction score
how are you guys threading this bobbin , I bought the one with the zirconium insert, the internal hole is so small
it is a real pain to thread, my old bobbin I was using a ballyhoo rigging needle and took a second
now I struggle to get a thread thru in 10 minutes

karstopo

Reaction score
On tiny hole bobbin inserts, if you can get just a wee bit of thread into the hole, you can suck the rest through. Put your lips on the insert and suck hard. That is a lot easier in my experience than those threading tools.

I was another that didn’t like the Rite Bobbin, just didn’t feel right in my hand missing the one post and I had a hard time getting mine to feed tying thread smoothly and at the tension I wanted. I don’t always want the same tension on the tying thread even while working on one fly. It just wasn’t for me, but as they say, different strokes for different folks.

dennyk

Reaction score
how are you guys threading this bobbin , I bought the one with the zirconium insert, the internal hole is so small
it is a real pain to thread, my old bobbin I was using a ballyhoo rigging needle and took a second
now I struggle to get a thread thru in 10 minutes
If you would like to give these a try send me a PM with your mailing address. These work fine for me, I get them from my dentist, he's a friend of mine.

Denny

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
If you would like to give these a try send me a PM with your mailing address. These work fine for me, I get them from my dentist, he's a friend of mine.

Denny
I also use the floss threader. They are at your grocery store (cheap) with the display of toothbrushes. They are not long enough for some bobbins (Loon and others) but they are quick and easy.

those sane threaders can be cut off and used as eyes for damsel flies by melting the tips of the Ys and just tied in. Lots easier than making eyes our of a piece of mono.

I have also used them to make handles to hold floss for woven body nymphs, but find it easier with all but the smallest flies to just hold onto the floss itself these days.

Don

flytire

Reaction score
i got rid of the rite bobbin holder i had. i didnt like the hand feel

tiemco ceramic or jstockard ceramic bobbin holders are way better for my style of tying

Gimmeslack

Reaction score
Love hate, here. Fiddly to setup, but great once on a roll. I actually like the 'open frame' and the ability to adjust tension is wonderful.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I like them. I have 8, so I don't worry about changing thread much. I have a mix of the standard and small sizes. There really isn't much difference between the two, I use them interchangeably. I get what others have said about the open side not working for them, but I don't even notice. I grip the tip of the bobbin when I tie. One thing that does happen sometimes, is that the vinyl sleeve will slide up the tip over time, I just back it down, no biggie. The only bobbin I would go so far as to not recommend is the Petitjean. It seems to be more of a thread cutter/patience tester. I've been curious about the smahen, they look like a good one, but at $70, I haven't been able to justify picking up one of those.