Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rite Bobbins

Default Rite Bobbins

Iíve seen a lot of those Rite bobbins being used by folks; thought they might be worth a shot. Iím still using the bobbin that came in some cheap pack of tools.

Would yíall recommend the Standard model to start, or would I be better off with the Half Hitch model? What about a Shorty + Half Hitch duo?

I tie a lot of nymphs, recently got into wet flies, a few dries, and I tie a fair amount of streamers.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Noodle; 02-12-2020 at 10:13 PM.

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Rite Bobbins

The last time these were brought up in a thread the reviews were mixed, seemed to be a love it or hate it kind of item which surprised me. Put me in the love it camp, I also switched from a cheap starter type and these made a world of difference for my tying style at least.

As far as size, I have one of the short model and one standard...honestly either works fine but if I had to pick one Iíd go with the standard length as it just seems a little more comfortable for my long-ish fingers.

Iíve been tying for a couple years but only casually so Iím no expert by any means. Iím sure others will chime in with much more detailed/explanatory opinions.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

4. Likes Noodle, ejsell, scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post

Default Rite Bobbins

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4.0 View Post
    The last time these were brought up in a thread the reviews were mixed, seemed to be a love it or hate it kind of item which surprised me. Put me in the love it camp, I also switched from a cheap starter type and these made a world of difference for my tying style at least.

As far as size, I have one of the short model and one standard...honestly either works fine but if I had to pick one Iíd go with the standard length as it just seems a little more comfortable for my long-ish fingers.

Iíve been tying for a couple years but only casually so Iím no expert by any means. Iím sure others will chime in with much more detailed/explanatory opinions.
    Thanks for the thoughts. Iím surprised to hear they were a mixed bag too. Though I think I remember the complaint being that it takes too long to switch threads? Iím not worried about that, I just want a cool fun to use bobbin. Rite bobbin looks dope, I see the advantage of adjustable thread tension, and it looks easy to work with. Sounds like itís worth a shot to me, but I guess Iím open to other suggestions.

6. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I love mine. I too had the "standard" style for the longest time. The Rite bobbin was night and day. Especially for delicate threads.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

8. Likes scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I like the standard as well. Being able to fine-tune the tension is one reason I believe it is one of the best bobbins. It does take a little getting used to how many turns it takes to set the tension you want. I would think if you were tying a lot of streamers the Half-hitch would be good because of the longer nozzle.

Bill

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I really like mine, I have had them (2 of them) for a few years now. One day I got clumsy and dropped one on a cement floor cracking off the side opposite of the tension wheel at the barrel. They sent me a new frame no cost or questions asked along with a short note thanking me for choosing their product. Good Folks!

Denny

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Love mine, got 2 because it does take a couple extra seconds to change out the thread but when I'm tying it's not like I'm in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14. Likes hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

I got one for Christmas and I like it. It's the standard size and works really well for the size flies I tie from #12 to #20.

It fits well in my hand, but most bobbins do anyway, and it doesn't take long to adjust the tension either, it's pretty simple really.

There are some excellent bobbins out there these days, and another one I like is Renzetti's Ruby Tipped bobbin. Smooooooth wrapping.

I also like the new Umpqua Dream Stream bobbin, the new blue one. It's a heavier bobbin with a polished stainless tube. I was questioning the tube because I have had others in the past, older ones that have been worn, but I'd end up breaking my thread. But this bobbin is something different. I really like it and actually use it more than my Rite bobbin.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

16. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I tried the Rite Half-hitch model. Kept breaking my thread, so I returned it and went back to my Griffin w/ ceramic insert, that I have been using for years. It seems a lot of folks like them, so maybe my problem was pilot error. I just know I like my Griffin bobbin.

Thanks,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

18. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Picked one up at the shop close to work; going to try the standard model to start. Thanks yíall!

20. Likes dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast