First Buggers from a Newbie!

famill00

Reaction score
Click the link to see my first buggers...

Tell me what you think...

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Sorry, here are the pics....

Top: First one...looks rough :(

Second: A little better

Third: Added a gold bead head, lead weight, and a wire rib for flash...

Tell me what you think!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
These are all you need to catch almost anything that swims, very good job! Before you know it you'll be looking at Allan's Salmon Fly Tying thread and saying, 'I can do that'. By the way I use a vise like that too.

I'm glad to see you are getting your pictures up now,

Ard

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Nice job. I like the second one. One thing no one told me until I'd been tying for awhile (so I had to figure it out on my own) was sometimes less is more. Try using three quarters of the marabou in the tail than what you have on the first fly. One other thing and this is not really a criticism either: experiment with slightly longer and shorter hackle. Somedays the fish want something bushier, sometimes not. What you've got there will work just fine, so keep tying them like that, but tie a few slightly different also. the results on the water might teach you something.

Peace.

ant

Reaction score
Very nice; they look a lot better than my first buggers! Something you may want to try on a few is to add a strand or two (per side) of Krystal Flash to the tail.

famill00

Reaction score
I tried a fourth one today.

On this one, I used a size 10 Mustad, Bead Head, 6 wraps of lead, Black marabou, krystal flash, olive chenille, Black Hackle, and a gold wire for ribbing.

All was going well until I discovered that I did not tie off the hackle feather well enough and had to go back to redo that.

I think I should have stopped the chenille one wrap sooner and that would have made the head cleaner.

Also, what is the correct order for tying all this in? I went lead first then 6/0 thread, then marabou, then krystal flash, then wire then hackle then chenille, and finished it up from there...

ant

Reaction score
Your order sounds good to me. I might have done hackle then wire(as I'd put down the wire and then the hackle), but the fly looks great and that's all that matters.