Question: Hook Length

North Pole

Reaction score
D98D6C36-E56F-4093-A6C5-2648D8A75FFE.jpg

I’m wanting to tie a terrestrial pattern for the whitespotted sawyer beetles that are so common here in Interior Alaska. I need to order hooks, either Umpqua U204 or TMC 2302.

My dilemma, I’m not sure what hook size I need for a fly body length of 3/4”-1”? Is there anyone that has either of these hooks (both are 2XL curved) that could measure the shank length (total length of the fly body) of these particular hooks in the #4 & #6 & #8 sizes? I’m looking for the actual measurements.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
View attachment 21390

I’m wanting to tie a terrestrial pattern for the whitespotted sawyer beetles that are so common here in Interior Alaska. I need to order hooks, either Umpqua U204 or TMC 2302.

My dilemma, I’m not sure what hook size I need for a fly body length of 3/4”-1”? Is there anyone that has either of these hooks (both are 2XL curved) that could measure the shank length (total length of the fly body) of these particular hooks in the #4 & #6 & #8 sizes? I’m looking for the actual measurements.
The TMC 2302 and TMC 2312 are identical except the the 2302 had a down eye and the 2312 has a straight eye. Therefore the shanks should be identical. However hook is curved so you have to measure the shank length yourself as to where you will end the body. Each grid line is 1 mm and 1 inch = 2.54 cm; 1 cm = 0.39 inch.

Here are grid photos of the TMC 2312.

flyhooks.org

North Pole

Reaction score
They’ll all be Arctic grayling. It won’t be for 3-4 months. It was -38F here today so no open water for some time.

Last edited: