Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Seal Fur

1. Default Seal Fur

Is seals fur dubbing illegal for use in the U.S.? I see a lot of overseas tiers using it and saying really good things about it, but I have never seen it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seal Fur

Dorian,

As far as I know it is legal, I have some that I've had since the late seventies. It works well but Australian opossum is my favorite dubbing. See if you can locate some of it or domestic in a pinch.

Hi Dorian,

I think the US has an import ban on Seal. I don't think you can buy Seal Fur in the US. That is why the fly shops don't have it available for sale.

Frank

Blog Entries

Opps, that's what living here will do to ya. I guess I'm confused because Natives here hunt seals so I figured what the hay, most be OK. Like I said I've had some for a long time but like the opossum better.

5. Default Re: Seal Fur

Hello Dorian,

Being Canadian I can't really speak much about US laws but it is available in Canada. If there is an import ban then getting seal fur will be an issue. I buy from Thornes which is located in Alberta and they have a good selection of dubbing including seal, both natural and synthetic. They have free shipping anywhere but if they can't export it to you then that is a problem. I recommend maybe sending them an email and seeing if they can send it to you.

Here is a link directly to the seal fur, usually I find if a site can't ship based on a ban then they say no shipping outside of country or something but maybe they just don't have that on there.

Thornes Manufacturing and Sales

Jeff

Hi to all,

Here is a little follow up.

The US Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 prohibits the taking or importing of any Marine Mammals or products made from them. It has be updated as recent as 2007. There are some exceptions about taking Seals in Alaska and incidental killing by commercial fishing nets. But it doesn't allow the selling of fur or other products, even by the Alaska Eskimos.

Frank

Are any of the synthetics close? I see "Semi-Seal" a lot.

I have a product called "Sealex" & I like it. With all the Synthetics out now you don't need seal fur. These tri-lobal dubbing synthetics are better anyway...

9. Default Re: Seal Fur

who needs to sell drugs when you can just slang some imported seal fur instead!!!
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

10. Default Re: Seal Fur

I am currently hoarding a good supply of "unseal" a synthetic, and a Ligas product called "ultra translucent" synthetic seal dubbing.

The unseal I bought in a closeout deal at a local fly shop. The Ligas Inc.stuff can be purchased from them.

Ligas Inc.,275 Brookside,Boulder Co 80302

Has been awhile but i think they are still upand running.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
    Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"