Renzetti Traveler Vice Saltwater vs Regular

silver creek

Reaction score
To me it looks like the salt water base is heavier and the jaw is more blunt.

If you are going to tie trout sized flies like 18's and maybe smaller, I would buy the regular Renzetti.

But you should call Renzetti for the real answer. Or call the fly shop!

flytire

Reaction score
looks to me like its a $30 difference. i'd go with the regular traveler and use the savings on materials

they both indicate size of hook at #28 - 4/0

saltwater has a 6" x 6" base but you can get that base for the regular traveler

ts47

Reaction score
looks to me like its a $30 difference. i'd go with the regular traveler and use the savings on materials

they both indicate size of hook at #28 - 4/0

saltwater has a 6" x 6" base but you can get that base for the regular traveler
A correction...

The regular Renzetti is for hook sizes from: Securely holds hook sizes #28-4/0

The saltwater version takes hooks: Secures hook sizes #4-8/0
The saltwater vice also has a sturdier base that helps when you are pulling thread and materials on a much larger saltwater size fly.

You need to know what size hooks you plan to use for your flies. Then match your hook size to the jaw size of the appropriate vice.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What will you use it for primarily?

If you live along the coast I'd buy a vise claiming to be a Saltwater vise otherwise I'd buy one like I own and use it. I've held hooks from #20 dry fly wire up to 2/0 salmon irons in the regular Traveler vise. That's actual testimonial from someone who did it not just from the website.

original cormorant

Reaction score
I have ruined a vise by forcing big hooks into jaws designed for smaller hooks, so don't do it!

To me a travel vise should be as light as possible and so a vise with a pedestal base cannot be a "travel" vise, at least not in my checked baggage.

trev

Reaction score
To me a travel vise should be as light as possible and so a vise with a pedestal base cannot be a "travel" vise, at least not in my checked baggage.
I don't travel anymore, but that used to be the primary reason to have a base for a vise, so few places a clamp can be used and it's so hard to fit the table from home in a duffle bag. A base can turn any flat surface into a tying table, like the tailgate of a pickup or a skirted dining table. I made a homemade a base for my vise before I ever saw one available for purchase so that it could travel.
Maybe hotel rooms now have tables that can take a clamp without damage? or being a 1/4" to thick for the clamp?
I may have just be lucky to always find rooms with no suitable place for a clamp.

trev

Reaction score
Renzetti does sell spare jaws
yes. that is why I asked, if the jaws interchange the cost of a second jaw assembly is less than another vise and would give the full range of hook sizes. There is the possibility, since those are called ( Replacement Jaws

– RD Fly Fishing
) replacement jaws that they are specific to each line of vise, although all those lines look much alike. I don't think I've ever seen an actual traveler vise.

original cormorant

Reaction score
I don't travel anymore, but that used to be the primary reason to have a base for a vise, so few places a clamp can be used and it's so hard to fit the table from home in a duffle bag. A base can turn any flat surface into a tying table, like the tailgate of a pickup or a skirted dining table. I made a homemade a base for my vise before I ever saw one available for purchase so that it could travel.
Maybe hotel rooms now have tables that can take a clamp without damage? or being a 1/4" to thick for the clamp?
I may have just be lucky to always find rooms with no suitable place for a clamp.
I've always been lucky with tables - a beer mat or similar protects the table. To me "travel" entails flights so weight is critical, and pickups aren't normal.

thomasw

Floating Fly Aficionado
Reaction score
I own the renzetti traveller vise. I tie #16-28 flies most often, so I bought the midge size jaws. The vise has three jaw size options. The basic Traveller vise is superbly made, I have had no problems with my vise ever; I have owned mine for over 25 yrs. and although I have had the occasional urge to buy a fancier vise, the Traveller's functionality both on a pedestal and a C-clamp is hard to surpass. The Traveller and a C-clamp makes for a light weight companion on trips.

dennyk

Reaction score
I use 2 vises for tying. One is a Dyna King Trekker I like this vise for larger flies. The jaws on this vise are indexed to lock larger hooks in place and prevent any slipping. The jaw tips are blunt.

The vise I use for tying size 12 ish and small patterns is a Renzetti Presentation. Same jaws as the
standard Traveler. I by far prefer the finer tip of these jaws that come to a point vs the Trekker for general trout and panfish patterns.

Sorry about the slight blur-too much coffee!

Denny

fq13

Reaction score
Look, I would go with the Renzetti saltwater. I was torn between the regular Renzetti and a Griffin Montana Mongoose, but I got a deal on the Mongoose. It's Ok four years later, and it works, but I still have regrets. Don't be me, don't cheap out on something you will use and be irritated by its little flaws thinking "If I'd just dropped the extra fifty bucks".

On a side note I live in Florida and the Ol Florida fly shop is aces. They are good people and you are not going to find better CS. Call them (If they are open) and they will help you. They also have fly tying videos on line and are willing to chat on tips. You are spending your money in the right place. All of of us in Palm Beach County will thank you for helping them stay afloat!

Also get a base!!!!! C clamps are BS. A base let's you tie on picnic tables or any piece of furniture you choose. Buy the base.

Last edited: