Fly tying thread vs. Sewing thread. What's the difference?

HELLFIGHTER5308

Reaction score
What is the difference between fly tying thread and sewing thread? Is there any sewing thread that is comparable that can be substituted? I realize that I could tie some using both and decide for myself but I figure that someone has already done that and can give their opinion.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Far from a thread expert but I have a guess. The threads that are commonly used for tying flies have evolved from their sewing counterparts over the years. The compounding of the materials that form tying threads have stronger tinsel and torsion strengths. Of course common deduction would lead one to think that sewing thread should in fact have taken the same route seeings how added tenacity could not be a bad thing when repairing or creating an article of clothing.

In other words, I don't know :D

Ard

HELLFIGHTER5308

Reaction score
That's what I thought too. But you put it much more eloquently. I figured that the sewing thread engineers would have created a thread that was at least designed to military specs for utilities or BDU's. Battle clothing has to be tough one would think. Thanks for the reply. I would love to hear from others as well.

funcfish

Reaction score
Absolute novice fly tying expert here but I believe sewing thread is bad to use when it is made of cotton rather than something synthetic like polyester. Cotton breaks down a bit faster and wouldn't hold up very well.

Other than that I'd say it's 98% marketing :wiggle:

estrother

Reaction score
I would expect that there are analog sewing thread.

I would expect that there are analog sewing threads, but you would have to determine (or get some one else to) what the cross match is for a particular thread. Most common sewing thread is cotton, which would most likely pose problems with: longevity, thread size versus weight and potentially how the thread is twisted/wrapped preventing it from laying flat.

Most common fly tying thread is nylon, and it is waxed.

Many fly tying components are: a very specific type of a common item and/or subject to some post manufacturer treatment. Of course, many are just common items that some company has taken the time and effort to order the right colors/sizes and re-package them.

With some effort and time, you most likely could save yourself some small amount of money (presuming you do not commercially tie). You have to weigh the effort and time versus the potential to save, and you have to be honest about the savings by including the cost of driving to various craft and sewing stores.

I have looked at sewing and craft stores, while being there with my wife. I bought few matches (mostly yarns and chenilles), but I mostly did it to kill time.

stimmy7

Reaction score
Most sewing thread is 'spun'- there is as core that is wrapped by a secondary layer. It's also almost all polyester, and so is a lot of tying thread, so it would be colorfast (colors won't bleed).

The "old time" tying thread was mostly all SILK, like "Champion" and "Pearsall's" and in the 1960/70s, nylon thread hit the market under the name "Nymo". Danville's tying thread essentially replaced Champion as the primary product on the market in the 1970s, it was cheaper, available in multiple colors (Champion was in black and white only) and it was available in different weights. The other benefit to Danville's thread is it could be 'counter spun' and it would lay flat as you wrapped it, and where you wanted to, you could use a needle to 'split the thread' allowing you to insert dubbing and then spin it tight to make fine dubbed heads and bodies.

You can still find Danville, and if you look real hard, Champion... Nymo is all but gone, and Pearsall's is available from the UK still.

Almost everyone uses Uni-Thread, UTC, Gordon Griffith's or Bennichi now, and some use KEVLAR for saltwater and bass bugs. GSP (Gel Spun Polyester) is sort of popular and it's REAL CLOSE to sewing thread... I've tried it but don't care for it myself.

Does it matter? Who knows... I use Champion still for dress salmon flies, Uni for most everything else and Danville for larger flies... and I have some Bennichi for TEENY, TINY flies.

kelkay

Reaction score
Fly tying thread is cheap enough. I would use it. I like the Flymaster Plus 6/0 as a general thread. I have used a glow in the dark thread when Wal-mart sold it for some flies. But they don't sell it anymore. If you feel you must go the sewing thread route, I would use a nylon or polyester mix with nylon. I would not use cotton.

HELLFIGHTER5308

Reaction score
Since my initial post, I have learned from the many posts and from reading other sources, that the main difference is that thread that is used for fly tying is nylon and thus stronger and longer lasting as opposed to sewing thread that is made from cotton. Again I would like to thank everyone for their advice.