Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  27,173
Page 153 of 709 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253653 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 7088
  1. #1521
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Posts
    862

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Some more stuff from the work bench.









    cheers
    phil
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

  2. Likes wt bash, jaybo41, baseman1, thorsten liked this post
  3. #1522
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    2,017

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Claret Sunset soft hackles, size 12

    Eunan



    Addicted To Vise Flies

  4. #1523
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Farrar's Simpleclone. Moves almost as much water as a deerhair, but light enough to throw with a 7wt. I can't wait for the Spring...
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  5. #1524
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Akron Ohio (don't let that fool you)
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Is that a softex or flexament head Swirl? It looks killer man, best rainfish I've seen!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

  6. #1525
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    Is that a softex or flexament head Swirl? It looks killer man, best rainfish I've seen!
    Thanks Bill, it's supposed to be softex but I use Goop . Weights about as much as a size 6 bead head bugger, even with the 2/0 SS hook.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  7. #1526

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Farrar's Simpleclone. Moves almost as much water as a deerhair, but light enough to throw with a 7wt. I can't wait for the Spring...
    http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...-42-46_234.jpg

    Doesn't the Simpleclone use a wool filler? That one looks empty like Charlie Bisharat's Airhead.

  8. #1527
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Doesn't the Simpleclone use a wool filler? That one looks empty like Charlie Bisharat's Airhead.
    Yup, the only way to keep it light enough is to tie it hollow with Super Hair. The ones I tie with wool filler will need a 9 or 10wt to get airborne. This method lets me throw a 5" fly with a broad profile with a lighter rod. Assuming the wind doesn't get in my way
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  9. #1528

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Yup, the only way to keep it light enough is to tie it hollow with Super Hair. The ones I tie with wool filler will need a 9 or 10wt to get airborne. This method lets me throw a 5" fly with a broad profile with a lighter rod. Assuming the wind doesn't get in my way
    so then did you use a mold to get the shape?

    I'm asking because I have been wanting to tie something like this and ran across the simpleclone and Bob Popavic's flies and finally Charlies Airhead which seems to be some kind of secret formula. I've looked at an Airhead at a local fly shop and looks like he must use some kind of mold or form to build the head on then he pulls it out.

  10. #1529
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    so then did you use a mold to get the shape?

    I'm asking because I have been wanting to tie something like this and ran across the simpleclone and Bob Popavic's flies and finally Charlies Airhead which seems to be some kind of secret formula. I've looked at an Airhead at a local fly shop and looks like he must use some kind of mold or form to build the head on then he pulls it out.
    Just takes a material clip, some patience and practice. A picture is worth a thousand words so here's a few

    First a tail


    Reverse tie the Super Hair, make sure it's all the way around the hook.


    Pull back the hair, put it in the clip and stick on some eyes.


    Use a Bodkin to spread Goop over the fibers. Don't go over the Goop more than once. If you have gaps let it dry and give it another coat.

    Last edited by swirlchaser; 01-14-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  11. Likes kelkay, baseman1, itchmesir, thorsten, theboz liked this post
  12. #1530

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    aaahhhh, thank you.

Page 153 of 709 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253653 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tried something new today
    By Sasha in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
  2. today
    By troutdoorsman in forum Western U.S.
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM
  3. what did you tie today
    By luked in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
  4. Had a little fun today
    By dmwphoto in forum Mid-Atlantic Area
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 06:26 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •