Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  27,072
Page 234 of 707 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 7064
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote Originally Posted by calftail View Post
    Once I got the nymph-knack I actually got bored catching fish on this fly. It's a good one. "Olive Scud".

I even caught a muskrat on it !

Would you put up the receipe for your Olive Scud, certainly looks like a fish catcher!

Larry
    Larry

2. Likes kelkay liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Would you put up the receipe for your Olive Scud, certainly looks like a fish catcher!

Larry
    Here you go Larry....

Hook: #14 Mustad 94840
    Thread: Olive Danville 6/0 Flymaster
    Tail: Light gray mallard quill slip about 1/8" wide and clipped square on the end a hook gap long.
    Eyes: 2 Gold Pheasant Tippet fibers clipped on the end to suggest the eyes. Tie the tippets on top of the duck quill and position the black tips half way on the tail.
    Body: Make a dubbing loop and insert the dubbing in pinches. Trim the dubbing in the loop on either side about 1/4" on each side with a pair of long utility scissors to make the spun loop spikey.
    Spin the loop and wind the dubbing, not too tightly, up to behind the eye. Tie off and whip a head. Trim the top of the body from the eye to the tail and leave the bottom of the body long to suggest the legs.

Notes on the dubbing: You won't find the stuff I use to blend the dubbing mixture. I bought cards of gift wrapping yarn in Target back in the early '70's and it has long since disappeared from the shelves. I'm sure it's nylon and think Antron would be a good match. For the dubbing blend keep it on the light side and rely on the thread color to come through and add more color to the nymph. Your after a glowing life-like translucent body. For the olive scud I blend about 1 part med. olive to 8 parts light gray. Keep in mind that the fly will darken when wet.

I also tie a dead scud using a tinge of orange in the dubbing and a cream/tan scud.

I never felt the need for any kind of plastic or rubber back for a scud. I tried some with backs but to me it detracted from the translucent illusion I get when using just the dubbing. The scuds a good swimmer so I don't weight the fly and I use a dry fly hook so that it can play in the currents. I weight the leader with lead about 18" above the fly. I also found that the light wire hook had better hooking qualities than the the heavier wet fly hook. I try to tie the fly so it has a swimming attitude in the water (stretched out) and make no attempt at the curled up posture seen tied on short "scud" hooks. The body dubbing will sweep back to make a nice swimming scud form after a few pulls in the water.

4. Likes sumojo liked this post

RED ZONE BM MIDGE EMERGER (s) (Olive) Freeman/Variant TMC 200R, #18 #22

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

6. Likes yonder, sumojo, flytire, mcnerney liked this post

ANACONDA MIDGE LARVAE (Copper) Daiichi 1130, #18 #22

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

8. Likes kelkay, sumojo, tpo, flytire, mcnerney, waycool liked this post

LIMEY THE (Midge) LARVAE - Daiichi 1130, #18 - #22...

PT/TB

10. Likes mcnerney, flytire liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calftail View Post
    Here you go Larry....

Hook: #14 Mustad 94840
    Thread: Olive Danville 6/0 Flymaster
    Tail: Light gray mallard quill slip about 1/8" wide and clipped square on the end a hook gap long.
    Eyes: 2 Gold Pheasant Tippet fibers clipped on the end to suggest the eyes. Tie the tippets on top of the duck quill and position the black tips half way on the tail.
    Body: Make a dubbing loop and insert the dubbing in pinches. Trim the dubbing in the loop on either side about 1/4" on each side with a pair of long utility scissors to make the spun loop spikey.
    Spin the loop and wind the dubbing, not too tightly, up to behind the eye. Tie off and whip a head. Trim the top of the body from the eye to the tail and leave the bottom of the body long to suggest the legs.

Notes on the dubbing: You won't find the stuff I use to blend the dubbing mixture. I bought cards of gift wrapping yarn in Target back in the early '70's and it has long since disappeared from the shelves. I'm sure it's nylon and think Antron would be a good match. For the dubbing blend keep it on the light side and rely on the thread color to come through and add more color to the nymph. Your after a glowing life-like translucent body. For the olive scud I blend about 1 part med. olive to 8 parts light gray. Keep in mind that the fly will darken when wet.

I also tie a dead scud using a tinge of orange in the dubbing and a cream/tan scud.

I never felt the need for any kind of plastic or rubber back for a scud. I tried some with backs but to me it detracted from the translucent illusion I get when using just the dubbing. The scuds a good swimmer so I don't weight the fly and I use a dry fly hook so that it can play in the currents. I weight the leader with lead about 18" above the fly. I also found that the light wire hook had better hooking qualities than the the heavier wet fly hook. I try to tie the fly so it has a swimming attitude in the water (stretched out) and make no attempt at the curled up posture seen tied on short "scud" hooks. The body dubbing will sweep back to make a nice swimming scud form after a few pulls in the water.
    Thanks, much appreciated! I'll have to tie a few up and give them a try on the local streams and lakes.

Larry
    Larry

The "Ambrose Bucktail".......

13. Likes mcnerney, rubberguy, sumojo liked this post

Tied this with fishskulls new crawfish backs made from leather i put the clear cure goo on it for the shell look.
    SHANNON

15. Likes sumojo liked this post

GRAY MATTER MIDGE - Gamakatsu C12-B, #18 - #20...

PT/TB

17. Likes flytire, sumojo, kelkay, waycool liked this post

Baby bass
    4.5" long
    single rear hook
    single articulation
    rattling

Ugly as sin out of the water but looks fantastic in it.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

19. Likes sumojo, stimulator2 liked this post
Page 234 of 707 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast