Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26,485
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 244 of 692 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294344 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 6913

Thread: What have you been tying today?

  1. #2431
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Broomfield, Co
    Posts
    3,177
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    The wife had to leave the house for a few hours today, so in lieu of laundry, yard work, cleaning bathrooms etc etc I busted out the vice to tie my first JuJubee midges. Practicing on a size 18 but will tie 20's and 22's. My buddy hammers fish on these in the spring so I am getting ready for spring early


    As you can see I struggled getting the super hair to line up as correctly as I would like and on the Chartruese one yes I clipped that wild black thread at the eye.

    Please advise on best practices wrapping these to get the 2 color threads together with the single strand between.





    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

    "Snap it" Hank Patterson

  2. Likes mcnerney, yonder liked this post
  3. #2432
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    18,777
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Nice work, they will still fish great!

    Larry
    Larry


  4. #2433

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

  5. Likes calftail, mcnerney, yonder liked this post
  6. #2434
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    840

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
    As you can see I struggled getting the super hair to line up as correctly as I would like and on the Chartruese one yes I clipped that wild black thread at the eye.

    Please advise on best practices wrapping these to get the 2 color threads together with the single strand between.
    [/IMG][/URL]
    Charlie has a few videos online demonstrating his methods and a SBS.
    Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

  7. #2435

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

    As you can see I struggled getting the super hair to line up as correctly as I would like and on the Chartruese one yes I clipped that wild black thread at the eye.

    Please advise on best practices wrapping these to get the 2 color threads together with the single strand between.
    When you start wrapping the Super Hair, pull the first wrap straight up (perpendicular to your table top). If done correctly there will be a little butt section of the thread underbody exposed on the top of the fly. The body wraps will come out nice and tight the rest of the way.

    If you try to start the wraps perpendicular to the hook shank, you will struggle to keep them touching (tight) as you bring the wraps up the curve of the hook shank.

    Craven has a tying video demonstrating this.
    "Joe"

    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

  8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  9. #2436
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Broomfield, Co
    Posts
    3,177
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by darwin View Post
    Charlie has a few videos online demonstrating his methods and a SBS.
    Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

    Thank you I will check this out and practice some today

    ---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    When you start wrapping the Super Hair, pull the first wrap straight up (perpendicular to your table top). If done correctly there will be a little butt section of the thread underbody exposed on the top of the fly. The body wraps will come out nice and tight the rest of the way.

    If you try to start the wraps perpendicular to the hook shank, you will struggle to keep them touching (tight) as you bring the wraps up the curve of the hook shank.

    Craven has a tying video demonstrating this.
    Thank you too, I dont know how I missed his videos as much as I look at his website.

    ---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

    Thank you guys that really helped alot, my Sunday is off to a great start

    Here is one on a size 20

    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

    "Snap it" Hank Patterson

  10. #2437
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Presque Isle, Maine
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Second try

    Tim

  11. Likes kelkay, random user liked this post
  12. #2438
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?



    I just played around with some materials on my table and came up with what looks like a pretty nice looking pike/bass fly. I need some suggestions for names.

  13. #2439

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikefisher69 View Post


    I just played around with some materials on my table and came up with what looks like a pretty nice looking pike/bass fly. I need some suggestions for names.
    Nice fly! I bet bass will love that one. Don't overlook big browns with it either.

    As for a name...Steak-n-Taters! Looks like the meat & potato's to me

  14. Likes pikefisher69 liked this post
  15. #2440

    Default Re: What have you been tying today?



    TUNG PPS BAETIS SH (Purple Peacock & Starling) Daiichi 1560, #18 - TMC 101, #20


    PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

  16. Likes gr8outdoorz, yonder liked this post
Page 244 of 692 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294344 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tried something new today
    By Sasha in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
  2. today
    By troutdoorsman in forum Western U.S.
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM
  3. what did you tie today
    By luked in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
  4. Had a little fun today
    By dmwphoto in forum Mid-Atlantic Area
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 06:26 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •