Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26,481
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 283 of 691 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333383 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 6909

Thread: What have you been tying today?

Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Wanna do eyes get yourself a cheap pair of flat needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight and flatten the thread head top to bottom after you cement the windings so that you have a surface to paint your eyes. I like to use the back end of an artist brush and dab a dot of acrylic oil paint, let it dry and follow with the pupil. The acrylic paint dries really fast.

My example....and I'm sure other tyers can give their ways of doing eyes.

Olive Hare's Ear soft hackle #16

Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
    Starting in on some Tungsten Surveyor's for the PHW donation. Great heavy fly and catches a lot of fish for me on smallish streams. Basically a rainbow hares ear with a orange hot spot thorax.

What size do you often tie these in? I dig it

4. Likes tail of the pool, fly_guy12955 liked this post

And I can see why almost bit my computer screen

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Ok you guys inspired me

Actually was finishing this up when I posted last

Here is a PBR which actually is an Atlantic Salmon Pattern out of Quebec and tied by Dan Dupree in the new Fly Fusion Article

I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach

Tied my first 4 parachute flies today,,,size 18's. They came out really good I think. Easier ,,to me...to tie than a standard dry. I just 'Sally Hansen'ed' the post,,let it dry and was no trouble wrapping the hackle. The first one I did,,,dubbing under and around the hackle to finish the fly was tricky,,but I remembered a 'trick' using a small card with a slot cut in it to hold hackle away,,did it on the next one and presto,,easy as could be. Id have pics but my batteries are low,,and my auto focus just,,doesnt get it when the batteries get low and I didn't have any fresh ones. I tried but it everything came out really blurry. I'll put up a photo soon of them. I really need a new camera. I'm really into these smaller flies now,,,excites me to do a tiny bug.

Mike
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

7. Likes craigthor, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
    Tied my first 4 parachute flies today,,,size 18's. They came out really good I think. Easier ,,to me...to tie than a standard dry. I just 'Sally Hansen'ed' the post,,let it dry and was no trouble wrapping the hackle. The first one I did,,,dubbing under and around the hackle to finish the fly was tricky,,but I remembered a 'trick' using a small card with a slot cut in it to hold hackle away,,did it on the next one and presto,,easy as could be. Id have pics but my batteries are low,,and my auto focus just,,doesnt get it when the batteries get low and I didn't have any fresh ones. I tried but it everything came out really blurry. I'll put up a photo soon of them. I really need a new camera. I'm really into these smaller flies now,,,excites me to do a tiny bug.

Mike
    Another trick I use is tie the feather up the post as far as you want do the rest of the fly dubbing and all. Wrap the hackle down the post and whip finish around the base of the post.

9. Likes dean_mt, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

so why not a simple thread base on the hackle post? no waiting for glue to dry

tie in hackle stem at the top of the thread base ans simply wind down the post. tie off and continue the fly
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

11. Likes kelkay, madjoni, argail, dean_mt, ted4887, mcnerney liked this post

Ginger Possum

Tim

To add to Craig and flytire's advice ... I learned a great tip from a guy here in Missoula that is an amazing tyer and well known as such around these parts, his name is George Kesel. Just a great guy.

Anyway, if you have a rotary vise and have your hook clamped in at 45 to the jaw when you get to the point of wrapping the thread post, simply rotate the via 90 degrees counter clockwise. Now the hook is pointing straight up, but the wing post is parallel to the ground and in normal tying position. At this point you can wrap up the post and tie in the hackle and wrap right up to end of the post like flytire suggested. This just makes the procedure a lot easier since you are not helicopter wrapping around the post. Then dub around the thorax like Craig suggested, ending at the base of the post. Wind the hackle down the post just like you are winding a hackle collar - again no helicopter wrapping, and tie it off at the base of the post. Viola!

14. Likes mcnerney liked this post

ELECKTRA GLIDE - TMC C400BL, #12 - #16...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

16. Likes craigthor, madjoni, comeonavs, argail, mcnerney liked this post
Page 283 of 691 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333383 ... LastLast