Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  31,405
Page 811 of 811 FirstFirst ... 311711761801809810811
Results 8,101 to 8,102 of 8102

Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote Originally Posted by tpo View Post
    I've always had success catching largemouth bass on snake looking surface flies, and tan has been the most successful color on the CA Delta where I do most of my bass fishing. When I saw Magnum's Dragon Tails in tan with brown stripes, I ordered some to tie some snake patterns. Here's the result, amazingly this ~6 1/2" fly is tied using the "mini" size of the Dragon Tail! I'm not sure I'll be able to cast it with my 8 wt when it gets water logged, which it will on the first cast, I'm kinda expecting to have to squeeze the water out regularly. I do like the look though, and am expecting it to be a fish catcher...

Attachment 14322
    I tied some more bass flies using the Magnum Dragon tails, this time with the "micro" size, and mostly subsurface flies. Here they are next to the larger tan snake patterns. I have one small snake fly in black, with a few bright yellow stripes, and several variations of worm flies (tied with non-lead dumb-bell eyes). I have to say, I haven't had a lot of luck with subsurface "plastic worm" looking flies, except some true plastic worm flies tied with jumbo squirmy wormies, a picture of which I posted in the past. That said, I'm going to try to fish these flies more in the spring and see if I have more luck.

IMG_0706.JPG

Tom

Blog Entries

Default Re: What have you been tying today?

A little for the fresh and saltwater.

Size 2 gamakatsu 90 degree jig hook Balanced Leeches for crappie, catfish and largemouth bass. Size 2 keeps the sunfish away. I fish balanced Leeches without an indicator. I seem to do a little better with these than woolly buggers on Bass and Crappie.

Size 2 Mustad big game light hook Redfish crack with eyelash yarn. Substituted Simi Seal for the EP. Trying out some new colors. Eyelash yarn can be pulled out to tone down flash if needed. I used to tie these without any collar of EP or anything other than the eyelash yarn. Those flashier ones work too. The flashiness of a fly can be attractive or repulsive depending on whatever, water clarity, so it's nice to have a variety of dull, in between or bright patterns.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

3. Likes smoke33, GlennNY, dennyk, bigjim5589 liked this post
Page 811 of 811 FirstFirst ... 311711761801809810811