Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  33,238
Page 841 of 849 FirstFirst ... 341741791831839840841842843 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,410 of 8488
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What have you been tying today?

39 degrees today, but I bet the local LMB will be chasing these in 2-3 weeks.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

2019 will be the year of the rodent!
    Got some trips to Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, and Alaska coming up this spring, summer, and fall and Ill be chasing the rat hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all in the reflexes.

Tried a few small Buggers this evening:

Tight lines!

Blog Entries

atherton #2

Number two: Medium color nymph
    Tail - 3 short strands from the long tail feather of the cock pheasant (ring neck)
    Body - Hare's ear, tied rough and ribbed with marrow oval gold tinsel. After ribbing, the dubbing is picked out between the ribs with a dubbing needle to suggest the gills of the nymph and to add a softer outline
    Thorax - Same dubbing over padding or fuse wire. Before winding on this dubbing, the wing case feather is tied in at the back of the thorax, upside down and pointing to the tail of the fly
    Wing Case - Bright blue feather from the wing of an English kingfisher, lacquered when in place. This feather, although exactly what I needed to suggest the sparkle of color or light on the wing case, is apt to come apart after some use. I have tried to find a proper substitute and so far the best is a bit of synthetic silk floss, of nearly the same color, heavily lacquered after tying in. It is permanent but not as bright and sparkling as the feather. My good friend, Harry Darbee, the fly tier, recently suggested that the stripped quill from a large feather such as goose or swan could be dyes and used for this purpose. It should be much more nearly permanent than the rather delicate kingfisher feather, but as yet I have not had the opportunity of trying it out.
    Hackle - European partridge, either the gray or brown speckled hackle feather.
    Hook sizes - 10, 12, 14, 16

Reference - The Fly and the Fish - John Atherton
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Not today, but last week. I tied a bunch of these for a buddy of mine. I gave him a handful one time and he swears by them. Nobody else ties this variation that I can tell (you can't tell from the crappy photo, but they're two toned black and brown). It was his B-day and he's recently been diagnosed with M.S. so I figured I would hook him up (pun intended).

Bugger.jpg

One of the many fish I caught on one of these last year. A nice 3lb-ish post spawn bass from a little farm pond in S.C. It was a first cast fish...
    20180706_201411.jpg

Recipe

Hook: TMC 9395 size #6
    Cone: 1/4" brass
    Thread: UTC 140 or 3/0 monocord Brown
    Tail: Black Marabou stacked over Brown Marabou, sparse rootbeer crystal flash.
    Body: Wrapped in brown Hairline Cactus Chenille with a "wing" of two strands of Black crystal chenille pulled over the top.
    Hackle: Brown
    Legs: Silicone Legs brown/black

Edit: BTW, smallies LOVE this fly.
    Last edited by Lonnie Utah; 03-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

IMG_0301.jpg Quill Gordon Emerger

Quote Originally Posted by gc59 View Post
    IMG_0301.jpg Quill Gordon Emerger
    I am mostly a salt water guy...I tied a few of these
    Attached Images Attached Images

^^^ Those green over yellow ones look tasty.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

9. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post

Lonnie,

Those Dorado in Mexico eat those like candy glad you like them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rich Strolis Stonefly

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 841 of 849 FirstFirst ... 341741791831839840841842843 ... LastLast