Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26,627
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 99 of 696 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199599 ... LastLast

Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Friday night I was planning for a Lake Pleasant fishing trip and I needed some Shad flies to chuck at the stripers.

I remembered seeing some large Pike Flies that had a foam head in front of a bunch of hair and feathers, so I decided to try it myself on a smaller scale.

I tried one with a combination of maribou and ostrich herl, one using congo hair, and one using AZ Diamond Hair. the AZDH version was the best so I tied up some more tonight including a smaller version using AZ Minnow Hair.

For me a key to this fly is the hook, a Mustad 9174 which is a very heavy wire short shank hook. The weight of the hook keeps the fly oriented right.

I fished these on sinking lines (Type III sink tip and a 300 grn Orvis Depth Charge) and the action is great. They are pretty much neutral buoyancy so they just kinda float where you leave them or slowly sink with the line. Give them a twitch and a strip and they dance and dart.

This is a small version on a #6 hook.

Larger version on a 2/0 hook.

2. Likes madjoni, swirlchaser, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Those are some mean looking flies mudbug!! I'm familiar with those Mustads as well, I like those hooks a lot, though I wouldn't mind a slightly more aggressive bend right at the hook point either, but I guess beggars can't be choosers
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

I've been TRYING to tie a PMX. Only tried a couple of times, but getting past that elk hair being a PITA is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    Those are some mean looking flies mudbug!! I'm familiar with those Mustads as well, I like those hooks a lot, though I wouldn't mind a slightly more aggressive bend right at the hook point either, but I guess beggars can't be choosers

Good strong hooks, but they always need to be hit with a stone right out of the box.

I have some Japanese circle hooks I was gonna try this on, I'll let you know how it goes.

My main worry is that without enough hook weight below the foam, these don't track as upright as they should.

Nice fly Mudbug! Bet the saltwater stripers wouldlove them as well! Thanks for sharing!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Those are some good looking flies AJ, thatd probably work well here too for the big browns.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Blog Entries

I need to figure out how to take nice pics like some of you do. Anyway stocking the box up on midges lately. I am finding these so much easier to tie now that I got the midge jaws for my peak rotary

Blue Poison Tung size 20

Purple poison Tung (purple thread, sm gold wire rib , UV purple ice dub) Ive hammered fish on this

The green thing, never fished it, just saw the pattern on a website I got from someone on this forum

"The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

9. Likes tbblom, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Friday night I was planning for a Lake Pleasant fishing trip and I needed some Shad flies to chuck at the stripers.

I remembered seeing some large Pike Flies that had a foam head in front of a bunch of hair and feathers, so I decided to try it myself on a smaller scale.

I tried one with a combination of maribou and ostrich herl, one using congo hair, and one using AZ Diamond Hair. the AZDH version was the best so I tied up some more tonight including a smaller version using AZ Minnow Hair.

For me a key to this fly is the hook, a Mustad 9174 which is a very heavy wire short shank hook. The weight of the hook keeps the fly oriented right.

I fished these on sinking lines (Type III sink tip and a 300 grn Orvis Depth Charge) and the action is great. They are pretty much neutral buoyancy so they just kinda float where you leave them or slowly sink with the line. Give them a twitch and a strip and they dance and dart.

This is a small version on a #6 hook.

Larger version on a 2/0 hook.

Great looking flies, around here we call those Crease Flies. If you worried about it tracking correctly you can use a longer shanked hook and have more foam above the hook shank to ensure the fly sits upright.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Great looking flies, around here we call those Crease Flies. If you worried about it tracking correctly you can use a longer shanked hook and have more foam above the hook shank to ensure the fly sits upright.

I was thinking they were more like reverse crease flies.

I will try a longer shank hook and see what happens.

CHIDING McGEE FLYMPH-Baetis Gray/Olive…TMC 101, #20 -#22…

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 99 of 696 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199599 ... LastLast