Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Renzetti Apprentice Vise Thoughts

Default Renzetti Apprentice Vise Thoughts

I'm looking at the Renzetti Apprentice Vise and was wondering if anyone here has or is using this vise and their thoughts on it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Renzetti Apprentice Vise Thoughts

I have an early model Traveler and really like it. I haven't ever seen the one you are asking after. Travelers are good tying tools, have you looked that way?

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

This is their base model. I'm constrained by budget, so as much as I would like to look higher end, I can't.

It's hard to beat the jaws on a Renzetti Traveler or Presentation. Can't speak to the Apprentice, but I'll bet they are good, even though they look a lot different.
    Since you mentioned budget I'll throw up an even less expensive option. Before a Renzetti I tied on a Danvise, and still do when I travel to club tying nights. It never feels like I'm taking much of a step back tying on it. In fact it's very nice. It's a true rotary, and IMO once you tie on a rotary most are not willing to go back.

I've been looking at a lot of different vises. The owner of the local fly shop gave me their Apprentice to try over the next few days. I was wondering what others who use it thought about it. It seems that not too many people use it and opt for the more expensive models.

Blog Entries

You got that right Jimmie,

I am not a real rotary tier in that I don't use the function to wrap bodies or tinsels but to be able to flip a hook with almost no effort from the tip of my finger to see or work the back side of the hook is a good thing. The Traveler that keeps getting mentioned will hold hooks from a #22 to a 3/0 salmon with the same tenacity. I,m not pushing the vise, just sayen,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors