My son's first fly

brandy

Reaction score
So I took my fly rod to the back yard to practice a little last night and my son asked me how we catch fish with that pole. Trying to figure out how to explain it, I asked him if he wanted to try. We stood in the back yard practicing our casting as he showed his talent and listening skills. Keep in mind that he is only 7. He learned how to false cast, how to lay the line down, and how to shoot line...when it came to the roll cast, that wasn't fun to him.

So the next question was....with a big grin....can I tie flies too? Here are the results of that...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Brandy,

He is too cute! Every time I see a parent giving their children a fly rod instead of a four wheeler I thank God for good parents. Bravo!

Ard

axle27

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome. I wish someone would have taught me at that age...at my advanced age, new things come hard....

Get that kid on the water!!!!!

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Awesome! I have a 5 and a 3 year old that I took to the local fly fishing expo in Idaho Falls this year. They had a youth section where you could help kids tie flies. I took turns tying with each of my kids. I would just ask them what material they wanted to use and we would tie stuff on a hook. One ended up looking like a Wooly Bugger! Anyway, my kids still love their flies and love to watch Dad tie too!

Tell your kid congrats on that worm. It looks great!

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hi nice thread,nice photos,nice kid...lucky to begin so early.I was in charge with a flyfishing school ...years ago...and it was a great pleasure to teach children.If you've got a water hose or a big rope it migth help to show and explain how the roll cast works...without any rod...with the rod tell him to make the loop behind the rod...not easy to explain with words even in french...but for sure a very useful cast.Hope he'll catch his first fish soon with his dad!:clap:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Brandy-

Great stuff!! I love to see kids get into it. You can feel the deep concentration going on in those pics -he looks totally absorbed. Who needs video games when you can tie and fish?

Hope you can get him out to a local spot for bluegill soon. They're usually not too picky and would gobble up flies if you can find a good lake or pond nearby. It would be fun for the kids--- and mom too.

mark

brandy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for loving this as much as I did. I think the next pattern will be some foam beetles and easy stuff.

Mark- The St. Louis ponds that I have been telling you about have bluegill. He will love that.

Hardyreels- Every parent should love kids being artistic. Nature will never be substituted with anything. I'm just glad that they enjoy doing something that we can all do together.

So far, I have 2 out of 3 kids fly fishing with me. This is the first year for all of us and not 2 weeks ago I was tying my first fly....talk about being contagious...:D

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Nice!!! And good for you gettin' him started early. Wish I had somebody startin' me off.Taught myself everythin'. Tell him he ties better SJW's than me. Really nice:biggrin::biggrin:

travis0654

Reaction score
I always like to see kids getting into the outdoor sports like hunting and fishing. Kids these days like there ipods and cell phones and have no interest in fishing or hunting.