Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Information on Rock River,Dixon,Illinois.

Hello all,

I'm a fly fisher from Australia visiting relatives in Dixon Illinois. I will be there from about 20th June to 30th June 2010.

I would really like to catch as many new species as i can.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am a very good caster and have fished in the states before, but mainly for trout. My passion is saltwater and I am currently trying to work out how our Permit work, they seem a hard to catch as yours are.

I would be most keen to fish for Bass-all species, Pike, Walleye, etc. size does not matter, basically anything that will eat a fly. Fly suggestions would help too. I will have various rods with me. As I will be stopping at Christmas Island on the way home, to get a good Bonefish fix.

Any information would be helpfull, any contacts great and if someone is in the area a fishing buddy would be best.

After having a look on the web, I found Green River and Leaf River, are these any good? I do preffer smaller rivers, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you in advance,
    Andy.
    Last edited by andythomsen; 05-11-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: More information.

Default Re: Information on Rock River,Dixon,Illinois.

Man I wish I could help ya Andy.
    Just looking at maps I'd head north a bit to Castle Rock Park.
    Worse case a phone call to the local DNR may get you some info.
    DNR

Safe travels.
    "I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg

Quote Originally Posted by andythomsen View Post
    Hello all,

I'm a fly fisher from Australia visiting relatives in Dixon Illinois. I will be there from about 20th June to 30th June 2010.

I would really like to catch as many new species as i can.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am a very good caster and have fished in the states before, but mainly for trout. My passion is saltwater and I am currently trying to work out how our Permit work, they seem a hard to catch as yours are.

I would be most keen to fish for Bass-all species, Pike, Walleye, etc. size does not matter, basically anything that will eat a fly. Fly suggestions would help too. I will have various rods with me. As I will be stopping at Christmas Island on the way home, to get a good Bonefish fix.

Any information would be helpfull, any contacts great and if someone is in the area a fishing buddy would be best.

After having a look on the web, I found Green River and Leaf River, are these any good? I do preffer smaller rivers, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you in advance,
    Andy.
    Andy, Welcome to the Forum. Wish I could point you in the right direction; I'm not familiar with the area you mentioned. You might try contacting Smallieman; one of our members from IL. Enjoy your stay here, and let us know how your trip went.

Dan

Sorry I have limited access to the internet I am in the Bahamas and had a killer day bonefishing.... but am not near Dixon I am near chicago... but you might want to good The Vermillion river.. you got Carp, pike,smallies, largies, and rock bass

check out the henepin canal for some awesome largemouth bass or try the rock river. both have multiple species and you could do a simple google search on both and find a ton of info
    "When the river is high, the fish eat the ants; when the river is low, the ants eat the fish."

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing

6. Default Re: Information on Rock River,Dixon,Illinois.

Thanks for the info.

I have done google searches, the problem is there is too much information and not knowing the area, i can't tell at a glance if a location is 2mi away or 100mi.

But I do appreciate it. I may just have to hope on a bike and explore, a good way to find new fishing spots. I have a starting point at least.

Thanks all.
    andy