How Would You Fish This?

LenHarris

Reaction score
Nearly Impossible Scenario

The board in the middle bottom.

There is a giant brown laying under it.

I had no filter for my camera and the snow and sun wouldn't allow me to photograph it.

You will just have to take my word for it.

How would you fish this near impossible scenario???

And if you got it on....HOW would you land it?

Photo is taken upstream.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Len: After looking at that mess of snags, I can understand why a big monster brown would be living there. I think I would just pass on that one, maybe someone else can figure out a good way to fish that spot.

Larry

ted4887

Reaction score
I would try, and fail, at shimmying up one of those trees. If I did make it, I would dangle a bugger over the hole. If by some magical way it actually worked, I'd likely **** my pants and watch as my tipped wrapped around 4,5, or 15, branches and snapped.

L

Liphookedau

Firstly you will need a Chopper to remove the Big Trees then you might have a chance otherwise The Brown is only going to get fatter.
The main reason The Big Brown is there is probably because he can't get out.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Some things aren't meant to be. I think your victory was in finding the fish and sharing the story and photo.

Dave

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Baitcaster, 65 lb braid & a 1/4 oz weedless jig, just like flippin for bass! :rolleyes:

Although I like the suggestion that Diver Dan made! :D

I used to catch Bluegills, small bass, perch & catfish out of a hole like that on a warmwater stream, but they were not as spooky as that Big Brown would likely be!

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would have definitely tried for that fish and the first plan I would make is how to fight and land it after I hooked it. That fish is large and without spooking will hit and probably eat any bug that is offered. Typically a fish in that scenario is there for an ambush and will hit quickly and solidly if there is a presentation in its arena.

I see this as a for sure scenario and would approach from the backside of the fish. I would assume the fish to be facing upstream or towards the main river channel, which is a benefit right off.

I would tie on a heavy tippet as this fish is probably not very leader shy when in an ambush scenario, it knows it has to hit quickly or the food source will be gone fast...it has little reservation at smacking something because it is so well hidden and feels very safe that what and when it hits it will get another good meal.

The importance of knowing that fish will hit means you may use a couple of different scenarios and both seem to involve a one shot (one cast) scenario...no second chances on this fish as when you put the fly in it will either hook the fish or a snag...getting snagged is a for sure loss of the possibility of that fish so let's make sure the bug goes right where you need it to go..that being said I would try my best to limit the cast, either shoot it with a rod flick and the fly in your fingers or use a dabble (hold the rod out over the hole and lower the fly into the hole).

My first choice and the one with no second chance would be to place the fly over the top of the stick lying across the hole and let the fly sink under it (there will be no second on this one as the fly will no doubt snag on that stick as oyu try to bring it out).

I would use a fly that sinks quickly and is large, my choice would be a woolly bugger and a 10lb or 1X or 2X tippet.

You will be low and unable to watch the fish or you would have probably spooked it so you must assume it will hit the fly and be prepared to set the hook and come up quickly to a position that allows oyu to horse the fish into a landable area. Wade up behind the hole and net the fish as you bring it close to the surface...if you cannot horse it it will wrap you on a snag and will be gone.

Go back and give it a shot as no doubt that monster is still there.

Keep us posted.

latshki

Reaction score
to the original question

carefully, very carefully
plus an extra person to net it

caseywise

Reaction score
first i would try a jet pack:D:D
seriously i would use a long 10 or 11' rod and flip a brown #10 bugger out there right under his nose.
if hooked, i may try a frigid leap in the water,or wait.....a long handle net might suffice:):)

casey.

diamond rush

Reaction score
I don't think that's fishable with a fly rod. If I knew there was a big trout there, I might come back with a really long bamboo rod and try to horse him out high-stick style.

To be honest, though, I'd probably admire him from a distance for his ingenuity and let him be. Not every fish is catchable and sometimes seeing and learning the ways of a big trout can be almost as good as catching him.

How would you do it, Len?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Actually the water is 'fishable,' the Brit's do it all the time. Google 'Dappling.' There's another technique (which I know little about) called 'Tenkara' which is a Japanese way of doing things.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N40BOFYKR38]Tenkara fly-fishing - YouTube[/ame]

jhammer

Reaction score
A poor suggestion on my part, but I would say a 15ft spey rod and a heavy leader and try to muscle him out. :eek::confused:

gatortransplant

Reaction score
A system of pulleys and cables and a snow-pattern ghillie suit, or a drysuit and a speargun. Or potentially a micro-sub to deploy a streamer and line under the surface mess, which you could strip in from the edge...

Yeah, I got nothing.

fire instructor

Reaction score
Sandbags strategically placed 100' upstream, then draw the water down with a 2000 gpm pumper. Eventually you'll be able to wade into the muck that's left, and scoop-net the monster! :D (I'd just tell my crew that they COULDN't do it, and they will spend all day proving me wrong!)

Other than that, a fish like that is there to look at and dream about....

len s

Reaction score
Now I am admittedly new at this but it does appear on the right side of the picture along the fallen snag there looks like a wide part of the pool or maybe a spring entering from that side. It looks clear of obvious snags and if you hooked the fish and got its head up quickly you could try to ease it over in your direction. Or being a true sportsman you could use a barbless hook and let the fish take the bug and then use a the long distance release method so as to not stress the fish unnecessarily. Just like in duck and goose hunting getting them to commit is the win, shooting is secondary:D So if you git the fish to take the bug you beat it.

Len S

johnnie555

Reaction score
Thats a cluster and a half! The hard part wouldnt be so much the hooking, but the landing/fighting of the fish is gonna be almost impossible.