Wisconsin Great Lakes Brown Trout Strains

LenHarris

Reaction score
Seeforellens and Domestic browns are different strains of the same species. Domestic browns are typically more darker brown colored and have more spots throughout the entire body. Seeforellen have more of a silver look to them and the spots are fewer and the spots less defined. Seeforellen can grow to really large. Typical domestic strain trout are released in the great lakes and small streams in Wisconsin. The brown trout in the small streams grow slower because they eat different food. The lake brown trout have bigger food available and more abundant food. Seeforellen are not stocked in small streams in Wisconsin. Seeforellen literally translates to Sea Trout in German. This does not mean they are exclusively from Germany. Many lakes or Seas in Europe and the surrounding areas have Seeforellen.

Ted Kirkpatrick is pictured with his male domestic strain brown trout he caught and released in a Great Lakes tributary.

The Wisconsin state record lake run trout is 41-pound, 8-ounce brown trout and 40.6 inches long . It was caught in Lake Michigan waters north of Racine. It appears to be a Seeforellen strain. The largest Wisconsin inland brown trout on record is 18 pounds, 6 ounces and was caught in Lake Geneva and it was 34.3 inches long. Both record trout were females. Typically female trout grow faster than male trout. This is also true for the Great Lakes.

This enormous female Seeforellen was caught and released by Ted Kirkpatrick in a Great Lakes tributary. Ted weighed the trout before release and it was an eyelash under 20 pounds.

The spawning times of the Seeforellen and Domestic strains of brown trout are different. The age at maturity can be used to distinguish each strain from the other, but physically the fish are very similar. The “German” or Domestic strain of brown trout may begin staging in harbor mouths for their spawning run beginning in July, with the majority of the run occurring in September and October. The spawning run for Seeforellens generally occurs in November and December. The age at which the fish matures is also a distinguishing characteristic of each strain, with the Domestic brown trout maturing at 2-3 years of age and the Seeforellen at 3-4 years. This later age of maturity in the Seeforellen usually allows for greater growth before their first spawning.
Male adult domestic and Seeforellen strain have a pronounced hooked lower jaw. This area is also called a “kype.” This is also true in the inland adult trout. All of the trout in the inland waters of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes have intermingled the different strains and it is hard to say if a trout is 100 percent Seeforellen or domestic strain or a couple other strains mixed in. Only a laboratory analysis can tell the true ancestry.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Len: Thanks for posting the great information on the two different strains of Wisconsin Brown trout, very interesting.

Larry

littledavid123

Reaction score
Thanks Len, these information posts are always interesting to read.

When is the next recipe coming our way...Been waiting [poke]

Dave

wt bash

Reaction score
Would you know the behaviour of either when in the lake? I ask because Pa. had implemented a stocking programe 2 years ago I believe. I'm not sure which strain but I've been told that lake browns prefer the shallower areas of the lake and Lake Erie, compared to the other lakes is relatively shallow aside from the eastern end. That has alot of buckeye's hopeful that we see more browns stumbling into our tribs over making the trip back east.

madjoni

Reaction score
All of the trout in the inland waters of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes have intermingled the different strains and it is hard to say if a trout is 100 percent Seeforellen or domestic strain or a couple other strains mixed in. Only a laboratory analysis can tell the true ancestry.
Ancestor of all European salmonides is one and only salmon look like fish that lived in north atlantic ocean.So atlantic salmon,all strains of brown trout ,softmouth and marble trout have same grand pa' ....
Sea trout and that brown trout you have are probably genetically identical .

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Ancestor of all European salmonides is one and only salmon look like fish that lived in north atlantic ocean.So atlantic salmon,all strains of brown trout ,softmouth and marble trout have same grand pa' ....
Sea trout and that brown trout you have are probably genetically identical .
I had never heard of Marble Trout before so I looked them up. Brown Trout and Atlantic Salmon have a very complex evolutionary thing going on. There are a ton of strains. One source I read said they are as complex as our Cutthroat Throut. As for the Marble Trout some belive it's a seperate species but most think it's a subspecies of Brown, Salmo trutta marmoratus. They seem to get pretty big. Here is a picture of one I found;

madjoni

Reaction score
I had never heard of Marble Trout before so I looked them up. Brown Trout and Atlantic Salmon have a very complex evolutionary thing going on. There are a ton of strains. One source I read said they are as complex as our Cutthroat Throut. As for the Marble Trout some belive it's a seperate species but most think it's a subspecies of Brown, Salmo trutta marmoratus. They seem to get pretty big. Here is a picture of one I found;
Marble trout is something special and it is native for Adriatic sea ,and only our side of Adriatic,not Italian ....Every big river that flows to Adriatic sea from North Italy,rivers Po,Socha,Neretva,Moracha and Zeta, to river Drim in Albania have marble trout.
http://www.google.me/url?sa=t&rct=j...Soy6EK&usg=AFQjCNHhVEWH1amNCqf1tgVRqz2CtK_cHw
It is not subspecies of brown,it is better to say that when some specimens of ancestor of all salmonides from North Atlantic came to Adriatic sea they developed in some forms we have today,adriatic browns,marble trout and softmouth trout...
Marble can grow really big,scientist say up to 50 kilos ..I saw one that was caught in mine river Zeta 33,5 kilos 15 years ago.Marble is supreme predator in our rivers and it eats only fish..
Here is one 20 kilo fish, caught in Slovenia

and one from Zeta river

Here is delicate creature,softmouth trout

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Pretty wicked looking almost like a Tiger. Are they too anadromous or potoanadromous or do they live entirely in rivers/lakes?
They live entirely in big rivers ,not sea and not lakes,and not small rivers...