A proud father moment...

pryal74

Reaction score
The water levels on one of my favorite Steelhead rivers finally dropped to the lowest I have seen this year. I actually felt safe enough about it to take my daughter out fly fishing for an afternoon.

Varilya landed a huge Steelhead on the fly, her first ever. It was an extremely intense battle... which I could have had ten heart attacks. I am beyond proud of my little girl!

The best part of the whole experience was seeing her face when she held him and let him go. She tells me, "Dad, he's so beautiful!" The fact that she is 8 and was so happy to release him, makes me incredibly proud. I love the fact that she gets all of it. I couldn't be happier with her.

546471_2999939081792_415235541_n.jpg

Last edited:

Davo

Reaction score
Congratulations to you daughter and too you!! Very nice fish at any age but awesome for an 8year old!! You'll never stop telling the story. :D;):p

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have indeed two good reasons to be proud...your daughter caught an amazing fish and she was happy to release him:)
Hats off Warilya:worthy::worthy:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
James: Congrats! You will remember that moment forever, What a fantastic way to spend time with your daughter.

stimulator2

Reaction score
Congrats to you and your daughter.That will be one great memory for the both of you.

theboz

Reaction score
Conratulations to you and your daughter!!! Great fish . Great release! I know from experience with my daughters and son the only thing better than catching a great fish is seeing them do the same and then letting it go. No better feeling!!

popperfly

Reaction score
What a wonderful day you had bonding with you daughter and the best part she caught a MONSTER!! I would be a proud Dad also!

Congratulations Varilya on your first huge Steelhead :thumbsupu

mysticm

Reaction score
James, Your daughter should be proud...that Steelie is larger than many have ever caught on the fly. What a great experience for both of you.

pkins44

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome day. I'm trying to teach my younger brother how to fly fish. I can only imagine how proud you are. Great Post

pryal74

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It's nice to read so many responses. Trout season approaches... I bought her a 4 wt for trout fishing with me this summer. We had a great 2011 and already a fantastic 2012. I hope everyone can share this amazing sport with their little ones. Thanks again!

rockriver

Reaction score
That is one beautiful fish, and it's even more beautiful to know it's still out there swimming in the U.P. Great job young lady.