Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fly fishing in Lake Michigan

Rock, try fishing at the river mouths, wade out as far as you can safely and cast big streamers...

Dan

That's pretty much what I've been doing. My real mission was to get the feel of the rod though, so next spring, I'm going to seriously fish out front.

Went out today and caught a nice perch on a streamer! SUCCESS!

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    I wouldn't. I hate carp and will not fish for them.
    I would reserve judgement until youve tried it. Just this last week I went on my first carp fishing excursion. Almost all carp were caught by sight fishing, and almost all rose to a fly. I am hooked now and have been carp fishing at least 4 or 5 times this week alone. It really is a ton of fun!! I was one that was never interested in the idea one bit until I gave it a try. Now I'm hooked for sure.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Now on to the real fish...

Fall: salmon in all tribs of SE wisconsin. Egg patterns, Stoneflies, and Egg sucking leeches

late fall: Tribs...Monster Lake run Browns, and Steelhead...egg patterns, stoneflies, streamers

Winter: LR browns as well, and steelhead ...flies same as above

Early spring: Coho off the break walls...8wt intermediate sinking line, and streamers stripped in.

Early spring and spring....Steelhead, steelhead, and more steelhead...Lake Michigan tribs will be loaded with fresh steelhead...again. egg patterns, nymphs, stones etc.

tribs include Milwaukee river, Pike river and Root river,,all in SE wisconsin.
    FP

Blog Entries

I just got back from fly fishing on lame michigan and clobbered small mouths. I am not going to give up my spot but it was easy wading and almost silly success. I used my 8wt with floating line just so I could cast with the wind as it was heavy at times. I also taught myself how to double haul. Great time. I am definately going back and for a longer time.
    I used White/yellow Clousers minnows in various sizes. and a solid yellow clouser Medium was the most efficient size. I don't know the hook size. I did switch and tried a couple of rabbit patterns with a slow strip but without the same luck.

I went last year at the wrong time and didnt even see fish. but this year was different

The May /June isse of American Angler has an article on wading and fishing Lake Trout. It pretty much states the same advice that I've received on this forum.
    Last edited by rockriver; 06-18-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Jerry Darkes has been working on a new book that will focus on fly fishing the Great Lakes "actually fishing the lakes, not the tributaries". It's in the final editing stages and I believe will be available early 2013.

It will offer a plethora of information, be sure to check it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12