Manistee River, Mich

double d

Reaction score
Looking forward to trout fishing the Manistee River up in Michigan near the end of Sept. or early Oct. Any suggestions about possible locations (yes, very broad question) and flies? I'm thinking of the area around Deward, Cameron Bridge, Red Bridge, etc area (based on the excellant book by Gerth Hendrickson Twelve Classic Trout Streams in Michigan). Thanks in advance!

double d

Reaction score
Decided to stop at the Schmidt outfitters in Wellston, Mi. for some flies, any suggestions for the Manistee this time of year (late Sept.?). Got some new gear and a rookie cast to get some work on in the great outdoors. Life is good!

Jackster

Reaction score
Since you mentioned Welston, ask Schmidt if heading south on 37 to the Baldwin area would be a good idea for steelhead and salmon. You won't be far from the Pierre Marquette when compared to the upper Manistee that you mentioned earlier and your timing should be decent to latch on to some lake run biggies.

double d

Reaction score
Went fishing on the Manistee river near Wellston, Mich this past weekend. Lots of Steelheads all over-wow-just wish I would have landed one! Fly fished all weekend, stopped (and stayed at their lodge for the night) at Schmidt Outfitters, they were of great help in my fly selection for the area. Great people! Very clear water, very scenic river, people who live in that area have it made, as I had to do some driving to get there from the Chicagoland area, but I'm not complaining at all. Hope to get back there before the fall turns very cold.