Has anyone been out in Illinois recently?

williamhj

Reaction score
I was in the West suburbs of Chicago last week and everything still had a layer of ice on it.

pkins44

Reaction score
Thanks for the information but that is just terrible news. I'm gonna still have to check out my area. I was hoping there would be someone with some success stories for me.

pkins44

Reaction score
Checked out the Dupage river in Plainfield, IL today. The river is not frozen over at all. But my usual fishing spot, Hammel Woods Dam access is closed due to construction. Its going to be a huge $450K project to upgrade the roads and parking, as well as adding a walking bridge underneath the Rt.52 overpass. The bridge will connect the dam access with a park just on the other side of Rt.52 without having to cross that busy road.
Don't get me wrong. I am a huge fan of parks and improvements, and the park needed them. I'm bummed because of the timeline, dam access will be closed THROUGH 2013!!

http://www.reconnectwithnature.org/resources/onlinefiles/district-projects/ProjectFiles/FPDWC_HW-GrintonImprovements_FS-Map_07.24.12.pdf
This is the link for the project description and map.

So I found this sign earlier today. I have some time tomorrow, I think I am going to go for a hike with my rod and see if it will be too tough to fish or if I'd be in the way on the river. Either way I think its time to find a different access.

il_wi_fishing

Reaction score
ive been out every weekend but its all ice fishing for me around the chain of lakes area. i put my fly rods up after the tribs started to flow slush

maybe check out a few of the wwd areas?

pkins44

Reaction score
WWD areas are something I should look into. Thanks for the advice. Other than not finding suitable pools for the fish the Dupage has only been frozen once day so far. I went out again today but no fish. I waded a new stretch of the river and found some new holes, undercut banks, and some flats. I would imagine these places will be hot once it warms up but just not right now. I'm taking my time working the river to make sure I change up flies and retrieves in efforts to be thorough. I just need to find that deep hole on the river where they are hibernating lol. Thanks for the advice.

famill00

Reaction score
Pat, you can park at the dog park and walk down to the dam. It's a short walk. There are also some good holes between the dog park and the dam. Hope this helps. Too cold out for me to be wading!

-Forrest

pkins44

Reaction score
Thanks famil, I have been able to still park at the rt 59 access just not able to drive right next to the dam. I realized I have been whining about walking an extra ten minutes but I can assure all of you it's only because I'm just trying to get fat so it feels like summer again out there.

Last edited: