My first fish of 2013!

pkins44

Reaction score

Well today it happened, I caught my first fish of 2013. Though it was a mere thrilling 6-7" Shad, it works just fine for me. This is actually my first Shad on the fly. To be honest, I thought I just had some weeds on my line when stripping my line in. I caught this guy right before sunset today at Hammel woods in the great ole Dupage River. After I was done fighting for my life against this monstrous fish, it was time to head back to the jeep.

While I'm walking through the woods, I try to be as quiet as possible. Today it worked. I was able to sneak within recurve bow distance of this doe coming into a clearing. I was able to shoot it with my smartphone.

Currently oblivious

Then I snap a twig

Spotted!

I stood by the dear for a few moments before it dashed back into the woods. Shortly after, I was back at my jeep minus my forceps. They seem to have wandered off on today's adventure. Even though I am missing my forceps, it ended out a great trip. I caught my first fish of 2013 and it just happened to be a new species for me.

stuie675

Reaction score
You should keep it and raise it as your own. Show him what life can be and watch him grow up to be an amazing manfish. Then let him go free into life... so I can catch him down stream.:D

littledavid123

Reaction score
Great story and pics Pkins, I have yet the opportunity to wet a line this year and am going mad to do so. Understand what your saying about matters not the size or brand of fish, just so long as it's a fish. :D

Dave

pkins44

Reaction score
Thanks for readin guys. Just trying to let you know what's new here on the dupage. Unfortunately it's been too cold this week and the river froze. That accompanied with the ice storm that's gonna hit in a couple of hours and I'm worried the next couple of days will not be warm enough the melt the ice. I hope warm up. Does anyone have a global warming dance? Maybe al gore.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great pics of the doe:thumbsup:I love these animals... but saw one a few weeks ago...ran away like mad when he saw me:eek::D...your fish looks like our little chub...but our chub hate red:confused:

pkins44

Reaction score
I wasn't too sure of the species at first and have been told it is a shad or chad or however it is actually spelled. But have also been told it was a chub. Frankly I don't care too much, it was just entertaining listening to a couple of salesmen at bps argue about it. Even when I left they were still at it. I have caught a smallie a few days ago, making it my first smallie of the season. Also caught a baby snapping turtle. The carp have just started moving in yesterday and today but still not feeding much. I could snag them if I wanted, but that's not my style. I'm more about the challenge not the results. I have a good day not catching anything at all. I just like competing against the native residences of the river (carp not people, I'll snag the people all day long if they get too close).

If it is definitely a chub or shad. Please let me know so I can make the salesmen argue again and I can get my fly tying materials in peace and quiet. LOL

captainjack

Reaction score
I'm certainly in no position to judge the OP on posting a picture of a chub, considering I spent almost an entire day last July throwing dry flies to shiners on a local river. Nothing over 8 inches, but I caught at least 50 fish and that beats not fishing any day. A fish is a fish.