salmon fishing near steelhead alley (Michigan or NY)

marty mcfly

Reaction score
I started fishing steelhead a couple years ago and can safely say I am completely addicted. But, feeling those big strong fish on the end of the line got me thinking about salmon. I have never caught a salmon. I plan to change that this fall...I just need some help to find the right river.

I live in Columbus, Ohio so I realize that I am in for a significant drive to any river that has a decent salmon run. But, I would like to find a "home" salmon river within about a five or six hour drive I can visit a couple times a year without having to burn too much vacation time. I think that gets me all the way to Buffalo NY or to about the Pere Marquette River at Baldwin Michigan...and everywhere in between (although I am not aware of any respectable salmon fishing in PA or OH).

So, what do you guys recommend? In addition to reasonable drive time, I want a river I can wade and camping is a plus. Feel free to PM me with your closely guarded secret spots!...I am too far away to be much of a nuisance.:D

jaybo41

Reaction score
You're right on in terms of your options for salmon. MI or NY. You'd have to hit Ontario to get into Salmon so maybe a little further than Buffalo. How far I'm not exactly sure. I know where I'd go if I were in Columbus. Really, the same place as where I'd go coming from Pittsburgh. Subtle hint: 70W to 75N:p Unless you're taking back roads of course.

stonewolf

Reaction score
I know i spend a lil time up there ... well i say a lil my wife says alot lol i still say not enough during the run lol

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

rockriver

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. At first I thought you were just telling me to search google myself. I was getting ready to lay into you when i saw that your link was a search. Looks like I am headed to michigan this fall. Looking forward to it! I'll be sure to post some pics.
You won't be disapointed in Michigan.:)

Jackster

Reaction score
Any major river in the northern half of the west side of Michigan.

jph

Reaction score
I'm about an hour north of you in Leington and have been researching the same thing. Stumbled across a Niagra River site and think I may have to go there

marty mcfly

Reaction score
I'm about an hour north of you in Leington and have been researching the same thing. Stumbled across a Niagra River site and think I may have to go there
I looked at the lower niagra river but from what I can tell it is very big, deep, fast, and not a river that can be waded at any point. One of the things i like most about fly fishing is being able to stand out in the water and see the fish. Have you found any place on the main river or its tributaries that can be waded?