Illlinois trout

colin272

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some help. Illinois trout season is coming up soon. I have never fished for trout in Illinois and have no clue where to start. I am looking for some tips as far as places to go and places to avoid going. Different techniques for trout in ponds. Is there normally a big crowed out? If I cant be out right at 5AM am I wasting my time by going? Thanks for any and all help.

pkins44

Reaction score
I know Silver Springs State Park in Yorkville stocks trout once a year but have heard opening day pretty much wipes them out. Blackwell Forest Preserve in Warrenville also stocks trout but some deal there. At blackwell they let people in motor boats out on the lake and they almost troll for the trout. So the trout are pretty much fished out the first couple of days as well. I have been told the only decent place where the fish have a chance to hide for a few weeks longer is on Rock creek in Kankakee state park. I have been to Silver Springs and Blackwell on opening days but because it is so packed with everyone after trout to take home eat I wouldn't feel comfortable casting their and not taking out someone's eye. I have yet to fish the rock creek but I know people who have as well as other forum members that have pulled out football sized trout out there. In my honest opinion and depending on where you are located, I would make the drive to either Indiana or Southern Wisconsin. I can't remember the name of the park but my cousin always bring back some great photos of trout they catch around the kenosha. I believe they go to the root river and the pike river. I have not had the abliity to fish those spots just yet but I do know they are very productive. I don't have much experience fishing the ponds for trout mainly because if I was looking for trout I would make the trek to a place they can be found indigenously so I'd have a better shot at them. As well as not to stand shoulder to shoulder with guys and their spinning tackle who do not understand what a back cast is... as they walk right into your line and think you're the a**hole. So I hoped this might have shed a little light on the subject.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
The illinois trout season lasts all of 2 days at best. It is the finest example of blatant bucketry that you will ever see.

Meant to be a way to give people a chance to catch fish that aren't normally available and to give kids and fathers an opportunity to bond, it has become a circus of selfishness, waste, and blatant disregard.

Go find a river and catch some smallies instead. If not, the carp should be getting active soon.

pkins44

Reaction score
The illinois trout season lasts all of 2 days at best. It is the finest example of blatant bucketry that you will ever see.

Meant to be a way to give people a chance to catch fish that aren't normally available and to give kids and fathers an opportunity to bond, it has become a circus of selfishness, waste, and blatant disregard.

Go find a river and catch some smallies instead. If not, the carp should be getting active soon.
Agreed... I like the "blatant bucketry" phrase and speaking of carp they seemed to have woken up on the Dupage yesterday. Hopefully they are still out and about today!

glcaddis

Reaction score
There is one pond in Bloomington which is stocked annually and I can attest that a few trout do survive past the first weekend. I was walking my dog around the pond in early July and watched someone pull a 14-16 inch trout out of the deepest part of the pond. The pond is probably 25 to 30 feet deep in spots and when we have a wet summer, at we did two years ago, there is a lot of runoff into the lake to hold the temperature down. But, I wouldn't recommend anywhere in the state for serious fishing. Drive the extra hour or two and experience some quality water in Iowa or Wisconsin.

caseywise

Reaction score
try pine creek in white pines state park or apple river canyon.

i steer clear of the suburban ponds as they're horribly overfished.

i've heard rumors of native brook and brown in a few creeks north of rockford, but have never been up there.

casey

smallieman

Reaction score
Nick remember when I caught this out of rock creek... Big stockers man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk